How can i replace this discontinued programmer?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcam86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My flat has all electric panel heating and uses a Dimplex PW4 programmer that has died. It's also discontinued, i can see why as you need to be a rocket scientist to set it anyway. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mub0xbeGaddfdFjNJI-0nuU_ILnLxv8P/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mv2qc4IPdZvpJcpePRNN_-LeZLb-9m-b/view?usp=drivesdk

As this is just a switched live switch am i right in assuming it could simply be replaced with any other range of programmer such as Nest, hive etc even though it's for electric heating and not gas?

@rapparee works for dimplex I think. He might be able to give you sooner pointers
I do indeed, but unfortunately this isn't in my jurisdiction so I wouldn't know the latest replacement 

I vaguely remember them used to control smartrads 

All they are doing is remotely energizing the black pilot wire with a 230v supply. 

I don't know what hive and nest do. Do they use the pilot wire?

I do indeed, but unfortunately this isn't in my jurisdiction so I wouldn't know the latest replacement 

I vaguely remember them used to control smartrads 

All they are doing is remotely energizing the black pilot wire with a 230v supply. 

I don't know what hive and nest do. Do they use the pilot wire?

The wiring for hive just uses a switch live when the heating demand is on so should work the same as the pilot wire. I usually wire up these kind of controls to gas appliances but haven't ever had to do this for an electric heating system.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That original programmer has the ability to switch 4 heaters (4 zones) on and off at different times.

Is that feature important to you and do you use that feature?

If not then just about any single channel central heating programmer will do the job, wired, wireless, internet linked or whatever.

If you need separate "zones" how about the Horstman 3 channel central heating programmer?  would that give enough flexibility?