Is it possible to take power for a 1.kw towel rail heater and extractor from a lighting circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do struggle with threads like this.
The OP is now going to fit this towel radiator, probably in a bathroom that may or may not have 30mA RCD protection. Maybe its in zone 1, maybe not.
It may or may not have a working earth (no Zs will be done), and there may or may not be existing IR faults on the circuit.
They may be using 3 core flex (0.75mm or less) and they may just tape up a choc block in the loft when they pinch power.
I think a little knowledge is dangerous and we should either take the time to fully explain all aspects of the job to the DIYer (which I very very occasionally do), or give no advice at all (which I usually choose).
Sorry, I know I'm going to ruffle feathers now, don't mean to!
Hope he takes the advice given to call in an electrician.
As this is in special location he needs to adhere to the regs for this area most importantly as it will be an addition the said work that is.

I do struggle with threads like this.
The OP is now going to fit this towel radiator, probably in a bathroom that may or may not have 30mA RCD protection. Maybe its in zone 1, maybe not.
It may or may not have a working earth (no Zs will be done), and there may or may not be existing IR faults on the circuit.
They may be using 3 core flex (0.75mm or less) and they may just tape up a choc block in the loft when they pinch power.
I think a little knowledge is dangerous and we should either take the time to fully explain all aspects of the job to the DIYer (which I very very occasionally do), or give no advice at all (which I usually choose).
Sorry, I know I'm going to ruffle feathers now, don't mean to
They will probably do the job regardless. When I was young, RCDs didn't exist, fuseboards were all wire, and earthing on lighting non existent. Somehow we all lived to tell the tale, despite our mother's knitting and leaving knitting needles lying around.. Very few properties like that exist now.

'All' .... ??? Everyone.....???
It's good to know that no one dies from electric shock back in your day.
Plenty got blown across the room, all learnt electricity is dangerous 😀. Now was there an odd death, yes, of course there was, but in percentage terms, you're probably looking at something like 0.0001% of the population. No kids I know if we're killed, I know of far more sparkies killed by electricity.

Hi, Happy Hippie Dad, you say you don't want to give advice then don't, I never asked you personally, why bother joining an advisory forum if that's the case?
Secondly I'm not a DIYer ive only just qualified to L2/3 & 18th edition but lack the working/practical knowledge that was the whole point if me joining so I didn't just steam in and do the job without taking advice first,.
For all those that did part with your knowledge, I appreciate and thank you and when I'm in a position of wisdom and experience , I will also carry on to the next generation.
Thanks again.

Hi, Happy Hippie Dad, you say you don't want to give advice then don't, I never asked you personally, why bother joining an advisory forum if that's the case?
Secondly I'm not a DIYer ive only just qualified to L2/3 & 18th edition but lack the working/practical knowledge that was the whole point if me joining so I didn't just steam in and do the job without taking advice first,.
For all those that did part with your knowledge, I appreciate and thank you and when I'm in a position of wisdom and experience , I will also carry on to the next generation.
Thanks again.
One thing you will find about the forum members is that they are not mind readers, and don't know your background. So it does help if you make that clear from the outset. You will also find we don't like 'spoon feeding' people, so if you have a problem, and explain what you think is a potential answer, you get a much better response. In fact the 'old dudes' on here will go out of their way to guide you through the regs, and possible solutions and pitfalls of your proposed answer.

Welcome to the forum, and we look forward to helping you learn and understand what can be a rather complicated set of conundrums posed by the regs.

The assumption was probably made as your question is posted in the DIY Q&A area?

Thanks again.
so you're 'qualified' yet your first question was can you put 1.5kw (6.52a) through a 6a MCB.... doesn't say much for your training / qualifications...