how do you get around this...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isnt it the person who does construction thats responsible?

and it cant be whoever does seperate I&T, because its clearly stated that it is not allowed

Birmingham City LBC will accept a PIR so does that set a precedent ?
It could very well set a prcedent, if they allow one then by their own admission they have to allow all. This would make a mockery of what Part P actually is about.

Electricians will not be called to do any installations, just to test others works and submit to LBC. Doing this will not require you to be registered with any scheme provider TBH. So basically Birmingham City LBC have decided not to partake in the duties of enforcement of Part P. (Providing the allegation is truthfull) .

There are a number of LABCs that will accept a PIR, and there are some that will only accept 3 part EICs.

Doing so does not mean that they are not partaking in the enforcement duties of Part P, in fact it indicates the oposite.

Remember there are two methods of compliance with Part P, one is to pre notify and pay the relavant fee, the other is to employ someone who is registered with a self certification scheme.

Insisting that someone who has failed to notify or employ someone regisistered, should notify retrospectivly and prove compliance by producing an EIC or PIR (which ever is acceptable) is to my mind enforcing Part P.

There are a number of LABCs that will accept a PIR, and there are some that will only accept 3 part EICs.Doing so does not mean that they are not partaking in the enforcement duties of Part P, in fact it indicates the oposite.

Remember there are two methods of compliance with Part P, one is to pre notify and pay the relavant fee, the other is to employ someone who is registered with a self certification scheme.

Insisting that someone who has failed to notify or employ someone regisistered, should notify retrospectivly and prove compliance by producing an EIC or PIR (which ever is acceptable) is to my mind enforcing Part P.
Again I find myself bemused by your reply. Its inconsistancies in what is and what is not compliance shows a lack of understanding. LABC's are not allowed to set their own standards, or change the rules to suit.

Part P is a government document showing the regulations, electricians and LABC's are bound by the same rules, as goal posts are moved, then this document becomes almost defunct.

LABCs are required to determine whether electrical work is safe, and meets the requirements of the Building Regulations.

The Part P Approved Documents indicates that it is for the LABCs to set the amount of inspecting and testing needed based on the nature and extent of the work.

There is nothing in the Approved Document requiring that LABCs can or cannot accept PIRs for this purpose.

There is also nothing in the Approved Document that requires all LABCs to adhere to the same standard.

If the builder approached LABC I'm sure they will be helpful in coming to a satisfactory conclusion for all concerned. They will probably get a contractor in themselves at the cost of the builder as an option but the builder will need to get this work signed off whatever happens.It can be sorted!!