How much.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve M

Reaction score
Ive just been ask if I want to go back to the firm I left for taking the **** out of me work/wages. The problem was they were treating me as a qualified sparks leaving me to complete jobs start to finish in supervised but only paying me mates money. I enjoyed the experience off it all but I could have done with getting a bit more money for my troubles. So the question is do I go back as there isn't enough work about or do I stick to my guns and if I do go back how much should I be looking at as a newly qualified sparks with 10 years experience behind me the only down fall I have is I don't drive. Any ideas cheers.

Im a bit puzzled as to what the question is?

are you qualified?

Ive recently left the firm I worked for for 4 years,

and hopefully will be getting some work off them soon as a subby, [ I was their NICEIC AC QS ]

perhaps the difference is I left on VERY good terms (their terms almost) [dont burn bridges]

BTW, I have quite a few years experience behind me and was confident of more work, are you needing work?

do they need you more than you need them?

if you are still at apprentice level then I think you might have jumped too soon.!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:14 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:12 ----------

KK, Ive read it again, how can you be a new qualified spark with 10years behind you? Im totally lost now.

+1 also do you think the attitude has changed at your old firm ? Personally I always like to leave on good terms, but if it ends badly I would say sod em!! Get your licence and get a job else where or stay SE or subby to them to run the jobs at

I was a electricians mate from the age of 16 carried on for 3 years was told to go college but never did as I couldn't understand how it all worked. Then from there I done some air conditioning ( Duct work ) for 3 years didn't enjoy it so I went back to sparking tried getting into college missed the deadline then in 2009 started college and I qualified a couple of weeks ago. I hope it's a bit clearer now. As for the company we did part on good terms and they were sorry to see me go.

1. Sometimes pride has to be swallowed ,no work about etc.

2. If you are now a qualified sparks then you are paid the JIB/Union minimum rate plus any extra you can negotiate .

3. Unless you are working on a long term site, a non driving sparks would not be an asset to the firm TBH.

The company I sub to may charge that but how can they possibly pay that taking there cut that must mean there charging 35-40 pound an hour how do they get work

Steps you work for yourself fair enough to u but for a firm to pay a subby that they must be making nothing out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are u joking...?

The person who gives u the work is entitled to at least 10poubds a hour I would say more.

These days people think they can go alone and charge 25 ph and yes u can but when u got 1 day a week work then ur stuffed. Work is hard ATM so b greatfull

I am great full don't get me wrong :C

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry... I would have said that to any one. A female sparks work for our firm.

Don't think u need to bring up the whole female thing. I don't think any cares what sex u r if ur black or green.

I'm just saying that u need to give your employers a bit of respect sometimes.. May b they do go on golf days but I dout that pleasure was just handed to them. I bet they worked there ass off to get there. If u don't like the whole they make money for not doing any thing then don't work for them. But I can garente some else will take your job the same day as u leave.

Less of the sexist stuff tho.. That comment was a bit silly don't u think