How Things Are Funny

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2 days ago the city substation went up flames now the new ruiling comin in about consumer units nweding to be metal as they are fire proof is rubbush because the substation was brick wirh metal housedcequioment but the fire made the metal hot it fidnt contain any fire or damage as the fire was so severe its recked the sub completely does that mean metal consumer units wol in two years time due to the fire regs will fall foul

This 'metal consumer unit' myth is getting very boring.

1. No where does it state that metal is the only material that can be used.

2. Surely to make a distribution board of material that is non-combustible is a sensible thing. With the amount of connections and weak points inside I am surprised the standard for manufacturing never reflected this anyway.

Stop falling for this silly scaremongering from the manufacturers that you must go out and purchase their over priced METAL boards and take some time to see what boards that are plastic are still classed as NC. There is equally metals that are not classed as non-combustible that would not meet this regulation. As there is some wood that is also non-combustable that would meet this regulation

non combustible: 'made of material that does not burn if exposed to fire; incombustible'

most, if not all, plastic boards will burn if exposed to fire. therefore do not comply

non combustible: 'made of material that does not burn if exposed to fire; incombustible'

most, if not all, plastic boards will burn if exposed to fire. therefore do not comply
Instead of looking in the dictionary look at BS 476-4:1970 which defines the test in what makes a material NC when referring to building materials. This is what is important.

All the manufacturers are replacing their plastic CU's with metal ones because THEY don't think their plastic ones comply with the new regulations.  Show me one manufacturer of plastic CU's that claims their CU complies with ammendment 3 please?

And also show me someone selling a new WOODEN CU?

We all know the wooden ones rarely caught fire (probably more to do with using 2 screws for every connection than anything else) and we all know a metal CU will not contain a fire.  But unfortunately that is no defence if you fit a plastic one after 1st Jan and the house burns down 6 months later.

Metal is not the only non-combustible material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait till i ring up the fire brigade and show them my new invention!!!! precast concrete consumer units!!!!! Ha, they will soon have a law passed and i will sell millions of them!!!!! Will not be made in  china either but good old wales using proper locally mixed concrete with seaweed essence and thoroughly mixed in a coracle.

Oh how i will laugh when you lot have to lift them up to fit them!!

john..

Last edited by a moderator: