I Have Been Advised My Re-Wire Job Is Dangerous

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a sparky that's doing the work or the builder?

I'd be ashamed to do work to such a low standard............as for leaving a cu like he has, well that's just plain dangerous.

Hi everyone, I have been on another site and posted pictures of the part re-wire job on a renovation project.  The last -. 

If you are genuinely concerned and its is an NICEIC registered contractor doing the work...

Stop wasting time posting and discussing it on internet forums.. 

just go to the NICEIC website and lodge a complaint...

http://www.niceic.com/householder/complaints

Or tell the electrician to leave site and get a new electrician

BUT..

you are in a catch 22 where the work is clearly not finished....

So whoever you are complaining about may say..

"but I haven't finished yet so things are still a bit messy...."

And legally I suspect they may have the balance of probability on their side to complete the works first!

Or they must be given opportunity to put right any works that did not comply first before you could get any

compensation costs etc..

From a quick glance regulations....

appear to have dubious compliance with some of the work you have shown.

(welcome to the forum)

P.S.

no matter how many internet forums you post on I don't think you will get a quick easy answer..

with a short statement you can say to this guy to magically get it redone...

Regs are guidance and are open to interpretation !!

Thus debate & disagreement about how they are interpreted..

But eitherway..  BS7671 is Non-Statutory..  so the the wiring cant actually be illegal!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Thank you all very much.  I have just e-mailed NIC with some pictures and I will call them first thing tomorrow to make sure they have got them. The last post is brilliant!  Housewives don't care if it's illegal or not. I can tell you this for a fact, it doesn't matter what a guy looks like or what car he drives etc etc, if he does a good job with his hands and can use his brain to show off expert workmanship it makes her heavenly happy.  And every time she walks round her house knowing that she's been in safe hands, she's ecstatic.  I will sign off and get on the case. Thank you!  :Salute

Wow. Thank you all very much.  I have just e-mailed NIC with some pictures and I will call them first thing tomorrow to make sure they have got them. The last post is brilliant!  I can tell you this for a fact, it doesn't matter what a guy looks like or what car he drives etc etc, if he does a good job with his hands and can use his brain to show off expert workmanship it makes her heavenly happy.  And every time she walks round her house knowing that she's been in safe hands, she's ecstatic.  I will sign off and get on the case. Thank you!  :Salute
Wow. Thank you all very much.  I have just e-mailed NIC with some pictures and I will call them first thing tomorrow to make sure they have got them. The last post is brilliant!  Housewives don't care if it's illegal or not. I can tell you this for a fact, it doesn't matter what a guy looks like or what car he drives etc etc, if he does a good job with his hands and can use his brain to show off expert workmanship it makes her heavenly happy.  And every time she walks round her house knowing that she's been in safe hands, she's ecstatic.  I will sign off and get on the case. Thank you!  :Salute
Just  revised this - we do care if it's illegal! oops... stress can do funny things.....

its rough as a badgers rear end,

jeez, I do a lot of rough work subbing for the council, and none of it is that bad,!!!

its fairly typical of the way they've brought all the cables down a NON safe zone to get to the consumer unit, but its still wrong.

are the walls to be battened out? that may well make a massive difference as to whether the safe zones are actually relevant or not.

No such thing as a "Safe Zone" IMHO, switch on wall, client thinks picture will look nice centred with that switch, Ooops picture hook straight into safe zone, safe for who, the twa*t that thought it up.

It does look like no channel is going to used, which I don't personally like, always think channel should be used although not a regulation.

Safe zones ????

they mean nothing unless explained to the customer while doing the work or end of the job

nothing in the regs to say 'the customer should be advised'

pants all pants I tell you

To be fair I think safe zones make far more sense from the point of view that 'other trades' (and/or the next Spark along) should know that there could be wiring there,

Although for alarm installers where most of the sensors etc must be in the zones that doesn't always help much :)    The client however will still want their

corner shelves/ curtain rail / kitchen cabinets/Picture frames where they want them and expect all trades to possess x ray vision  - and good emergency plumbing skills 

It's true no home owner has any idea about safe zones. In the hairdressers the other day, trunking running round to sockets, and there's a 2 inch screew straight through the middle of the trunking with his hair clippers hanging off it. Picked him up on it his reply it all still works, wasn't going to touch it though. :-|

You've all been very helpful - when things have moved on a bit I will come back and post what has happened. So long as the house is still there! I am NOT touching that double socket!  One day, this will all be over and I will not say "oh how we laughed." 

In the end you hold the power.... if you're not happy with the job then don't pay
Unfortunately not exactly true, in court the law states that if the work agreed has been carried out then payment is due. Has nothing  to do with how badly it was done, this has to be settled as compensatory.

but, would someone that has clearly done a rubbish job contemplate going to court and having their name publicly dragged through the mud for everyone to know they work for badgers backside electrical ?  :|

but, would someone that has clearly done a rubbish job contemplate going to court and having their name publicly dragged through the mud for everyone to know they work for badgers backside electrical ?  :|
No they'll probably get a no win no fee scam to successfully prove with the aid of industry scam provider that the install was in fact safe.

Chances are, the person doing this work can't see what's wrong with it. He's probably doing it just as he was taught 30 years ago. So yes, he probably would take it to court.

I just found a text reply to my voiced concerns about the wiring from the electrician (the one whose running the show and sent someone else in to do the job).  This is it - and apologies in advance for the bad spelling etc ; - 

28th March 2013 
can't spk at Mo. Well ovs puts me a bit under pressure as u did say no plastering was being done until after the 3rd wk in April. All making good of walls is down to plasterer george and shouldn't be a problem to them. Don't no wot u mean about comments made because they are like Rock and Impossible to do anything else with and just need filling.  No way round as far as I can see.  Will c wot can Organise then for nxt wk.  Do u have Chrome now??

The bit about seeing what he can organise for next week is because I was asking for the job to be finished ready for plastering - mainly the CU in the garage because I was concerned it still looked untidy and had all the old stuff there. Also told him the pipe that goes to the meter looks well dodgy (and yes, I used the words "well dodgy"). 

George, just where are you?

Gtr encompasses a big area, Im north BTW.

PM me if you want and if you are nearby I'll drop in for 5 mins and have a walk round with you.

George, just where are you?

Gtr encompasses a big area, Im north BTW.

PM me if you want and if you are nearby I'll drop in for 5 mins and have a walk round with you.
Hi, thanks for that.  Did you get my message?  Maybe I am not nearby?  Sent all details off to NICEIC this morning and they were incredibly helpful in trying to get a response back to me asap even though they have a right to take 14 days. In other words, I may hear something sooner than 14 days....  A builder brought his plasterer in today and the plasterer said it's not that bad but that I am doing the right thing in making sure it's all okay. They say NICEIC should send an inspector.  HOPE SO I!!!  I could kick myself for not having done more homework before we started this project.