I Have Been Advised My Re-Wire Job Is Dangerous

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Doc H.  It does help but it says my files are too big. :(

attachicon.gif
Summer 2013 inc electrical work 219 (640x428).jpg
There is a limit on file size of 500Kb - You need to resize images so they are smaller than this

More pics - wonky switches and a ceiling light not made central....... the boss electrican blamed this on the decorators (who haven't touched the switches because they are not papering) and re the ceiling light in the bathroom this was blamed on the plasterer on covering the wire whilst plastering....... that doesn't hold up because a wall was knocked down to make this a bigger room so the first spark just whacked it where the old one was....

Summer 2013 inc electrical work 226 (640x428) (2).jpg

Summer 2013 inc electrical work 230 (640x428).jpg

Summer 2013 inc electrical work 238 (640x428).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing devils advocate, u said the decorators didn't touch them? So what did they do paint up to them? Was the wall painted first? Painters will nearly always un screw accessories to paint up to the box. Although its usual for painters to loose the screws, nothing to do with papering. 

Distance between boxes is simply wrong, but was no attempt made to plaster between boxes, or dry line or whatever that was is? 

The lights wrong, could be what you said hope the wall was knocked down before first fix though! 

Apart from the non standard fittings,

Over 6K for that job?!?! :shakehead

I really must revise my prices, saying that, I lost a similar job earlier this year at just a shade over 4.

Does the CU look okay?  We can't with-hold any payment because it has been suggested that if we did that they may come back and do something nasty.  Just found out the rads are all on setting 5 and the spark didn't give us the remote wireless controls so I had to ring the plumber to ask him if rads being on was a test and he told us no and how to turn the remotes to off........  I've been bullied by the electrician and told to keep out of the way of the spark he sent today to let him get on with the job.  The spark (if I am okay to use that term - hope it's not derogatory!) was on his mobile phone which was noted by the joiner so I had a word with the boss who told me not to listen in his conversations and even if he spent an hour walking around the park on his mobile phone it was no business of mine so long as the job got finished.  Job ain't finished.  I have handed all communication over to my husband. The spark walked too close to me the other day with his shirt off and did not say excuse me, he bit down on an electrical part whilst sidling in between me and the joiner to get to another part of the room and he took his time about it.  I told his boss and that's when he told me to keep out of the spark's way.  UGH!

Steptoe - 5.5k was the amount that four companies including this one quoted for the whole house rewire.  I got it wrong about 600 for CAT 6 as the 600 included the phone points but I suppose I have probably been stung for phone points not being included in the rewire quote?  I would be far more stressed out about all this if you hadn't have given me the reassurance you did at the "beginning" of all this.   :B-    

Although the C/Unit is messy it looks ok. That looks like a 'Sector' unit  . I tried one once as it was really cheap but would not again, but everythings cheap Chinese crap now so hey.

PS , Sweaty workmen rubbing themselves up against you, does Steptoe know the address   :B-  

Just noticed that all the lighting circuits (10A ?) are on one RCD, No regs broken but they should be split accross the 2 RCD's to avoid any inconvenience.

Although the C/Unit is messy it looks ok. That looks like a 'Sector' unit  . I tried one once as it was really cheap but would not again, but everythings cheap Chinese crap now so hey.PS , Sweaty workmen rubbing themselves up against you, does Steptoe know the address   :B-
Its my secret slips. :)

George, come back and do something nasty,,,,

Sounds like a threat to me, ignore it, but, it does sound more and more like a cowboy outfit,

As I originally said to you, not particularly wrong, but simply rough as F***

I would deffo be witholding a final payment until all certs are in place and your snagging list has been ticked off,

That is standard practice.

Although the C/Unit is messy it looks ok. That looks like a 'Sector' unit  . I tried one once as it was really cheap but would not again, but everythings cheap Chinese crap now so hey.

PS , Sweaty workmen rubbing themselves up against you, does Steptoe know the address   :B-

Just noticed that all the lighting circuits (10A ?) are on one RCD, No regs broken but they should be split accross the 2 RCD's to avoid any inconvenience.
Glad of your comment re CU.  

Yes, Steptoe does know the address and he was very helpful and very courteous. 

The electrician said he'd put all the loft conversion lighting on the same circuit as the first floor....... I will tell my husband about splitting them across 2 RCDs as i daren't mention owt else....

Its my secret slips. :)

George, come back and do something nasty,,,,

Sounds like a threat to me, ignore it, but, it does sound more and more like a cowboy outfit,

As I originally said to you, not particularly wrong, but simply rough as F***

I would deffo be witholding a final payment until all certs are in place and your snagging list has been ticked off,

That is standard practice.
Thanks Steptoe!  :)   What do you mean by all certs though? I thought we just got one piece of paper called a Part P? 

How do you get a "Part P" whatever when the job hasn't yet been finished?

You should get a multi signatory "Electrical Installation Certificate" from the sounds of it,,, seeing as every man and his dog in your area seems to have worked on it ;)

Yes, you need at least two certs,

An

Electrical installation certificate, EIC

and then within , I think , 30 days , your 'part P' cert,

Until you receive those you are NOT legally obliged to pay, as the job has not been fully completed until you are in possession of those,

With those in hand you also hold a legal document as to has took legal responsibility for your electrical install,

so then know who your recourse is against if any issues are apparent.

Cheers!  Jobs not finished and he's texting me about payment!  I did text back saying nowt til got Part P. All communication going through husband now - I'd like to see him try and ask him for any money. :slap

The 'Part P' scrap paper should arrive in the post direct from the scheme operator, ie NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA  etc & its A5 size. It should not come from the builder or electrician. The default is for it to be addressed to 'The current occupier', but i change that to the customers name if its known.

You  should also be given a EIC, (sometimes deic, domestic) Electrical instalation certificate direct from the electrician. This will normally be 6, A4 sides and full of readings & results plus the electricians details and signature .

Have building control been involved? I'd imagine so if structure has been altered, it may be worth getting the surveyor to come round and go through the snag list with himself, the more people of authority you have on your side the stronger you and your argument will become and the less likely the firm will harass you.

Just a thought?

Ermmmm.........

With regards to the "does the CU look ok" question.....

How does anyone expect the lid to go on, when there are ?three? cables, exiting the front of the unit. The earthing and bonding conductor (only one???!!!) don`t appear to be marked up. The 63A rated RCCBs are, imo, undersized - without knowing exactly what the design calcs were, and the prospective loads on each of those circuits.

It looks really rough - I wouldn`t be happy with that as a finish, for the cost.

2 X 63A RCD (126A) with 100A Main Switch, don't think much wrong with that for a domestic install, but the thing looks a total mess.

WOW,

just got on computer,

was on phone previously,

would agree with KME,

that consumer unit is a MESS.!

I wouldnt even leave something looking like that on a council job........

again, as I said previously, although it may conform to regs, the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired,

I think you have a very good case of

'not to a standard expected of a competent professional' or whatever the phrase is,

deffo could be considered a trading standards issue IMHO , especially as you have had so many various different people in doing different aspects of the same part of the work.

you, in all good faith, employed a competent, professional, tradesman, I dont think you got either of those three,

you didnt get either a competent person, nor a professional one, and anyone that would leave a job like that is deffo not a tradesman.

but, please see my signature.  :|

2 X 63A RCD (126A) with 100A Main Switch, don't think much wrong with that for a domestic install, but the thing looks a total mess.
Steve, that is regardless, perhaps the main switch is undersize as well?

are you trying to say I can install whatever I want on an RCD as long as the main switch is larger than any one RCD?

just because 'most' domestic installs are done that way doesnt make it OK,

Ive saw some domestics done that way with maybe 3xelectric showers, dont make them right, just means they were installed by numpties that done that cos all houses are done that way,.

[not having a go at you by the way, but Ive seen this house, it may not be justified]

it would be interesting to see how the installer has calculated the loadings out to allow for such ratings,