if max zs is exceeded

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
hi, if the zs on a socket or light is exceeded from what is stated in the regs say by not much at all and in another instance say double+ what are the implications and what should be done exactly considering all cpcs and connections are tight

thanks

implications are circuit OPD may not blow/trip before cable causes a fire.

are you sure your an electrician? some (most) of your questions are scary.

Where an RCD is used to satisfy the requirements of Regulation 411.3.2.2, the maximum values of earth fault loop impedance in Table 41.5 may be applied for non-delayed RCD's to BS EN 61008-1 and BS EN 61009-1 for final circuits not exceeding 32A.

411.3.2.2 ...Maximum disconnection times for final circuits

Table 41.5 ...Max Zs (i.e. 1667)

this confuses me

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

contridicts itself

Check your Ze reading if its too high (0.35 for a TN-C-S)(0.80 for a TN-S) You may have a bad earth from the supply which would push Zs values up!Check earthing conductor tightness! if still high inform DNO! You can increase conductor size which would bring R1+R2 Values down therefore reducing Zs! Split the circuit into smaller circuits! Supplimentary bonding! These will all bring Zs values down

like Andy says 80% Zs values must be met to ensure protective device operates within the required time! and your questions are scary lol :)

ok guys, we all know this forum is for all, some basic questions do get asked, but that is inevitable this being a forum. I would urge all posters to be honest regards competancy as this would help rid the forum of any remarks that can become personal.

Electricians who have been in the game for over 40 years will still learn if they are willing to acknowledge their limitations.

To the original question

Zs is the measured or calculated maximum earth loop to ensure that circuit protection is in place. The Zs should never be a problem with any rewire or new build because as circuit designer you have a duty to ensure that all cable calculations based on maximum demand are within the precribed limits.

This is one area where I would agree with other members who question the ability of DI's.

It would appear from some questions that very limited knowledge of electrical calculations are being asked from those who are or claim to be fully qualified.

I and the forum administrators are not interested in your abilities, this forum is for all, but we would ask that if a question is asked and you feel the urge to answer just give your answer without the remarks other forums adopt.

The main problem I see with any reply is that when it is posted in the open, few people will ask, and the results can be that those who need to ask will not, resulting in nothing being learned.

Another thought I would like to share is that we get a lot of visits from people who are not trained, who will look through posts and learn from them.

They may never post but your answers will help them pass exams, you may never get any thanks for this but you may be the one responsible for a single person eventually becoming a very good electrician.

I could ask Apache to go through old questions and we could all have a laugh at the basic question we may all have asked at one time or another, or we can carry on giving good advise and answer the question rather than question the Op.

We all learn, if we are honest we learn each and every day.

Hi Zs readings are required to be met to ensure that the circuit will disconect within the specified time in the event of an Earth fault,(TNCS / TNS 0.4seconds for circuits upto 32 Amps and TT 0.2 seconds for circuits upto 32 Amps ) and not in the event of an overload on the circiut. If you have TNCS / TNS system check that the Ze is below the required limit as said 0.35 / 0.8 ohms. If you cannot meet the Max Zs then you will need to install additional protection of a 30 mAmp RCD which will protect the circuit from Earth fault condition but not an overload.

Hope this helps CJS

so if the circuit is RCD protected you are almost allowed to get a high Zs?
TN should be designed to have Zs within required limits. simply adding an RCD to cover bad design should not be acceptable. TT you dont really have a choice though

i understand, kind of, but its funny how its not acceptable, and then it is
default_Fell%20off%20of%20my%20chair.gif

just seems to me that some or a lot of the "Longer standing" "Time served" Sparks just don't like anyone or agree to any of the course providers for adult learners. They just seem to see us as wanabees who know nothing.

Probably why I just read a lot on the forum and don't post many threads.