Important Info for Van drivers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Electric

Reaction score
I was reading a letter in the Professional Electricians magazine (the free mag from most wholesalers). A spark had been caught speeding doing 70 mph in his Tranny van on a dual carraigeway. I did not know the law, I drive a Vivaro and this applies to me and anybody else who drives larger panel vans.

This extract came from

http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/DefensiveDriving/Speed/UK_Speed_limits.html

Van Drivers ...

Many van drivers get caught out because they do not know the law. Make sure you know the national speed limits that your vehicle is restricted to

If your van has a maximum laden weight (Gross Vehicle Weight) of over 2 tonnes (2000kg) then you are restricted to lower speed limits on single carriageways and dual carriageways.

If your van or goods vehicle has a maximum laden weight (Gross Vehicle Weight) of over 7.5 tonnes (7500kg) you are also restricted to lower speed limits on motorways

Below are some examples of speed limits for vans, however, you should check the Gross Vehicle Weight and

There was a thread about this recently, and it surprised a few people on here too.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5944&highlight=speeding

The important factors are both weight, and whether the vehicle is deemed to be "car derived".

This could be open to interpretation with some vehicles - for instance the Nemo/Bipper/Cornetto or whatever the Fiat one is called, is based on a Grande Punto floorpan, but was designed and built as a van (even though there is now an MPV version).

Confusing and contradictory legislation as usual! headbang

Oh, I didn't realise it had been covered already, sorry.

I did a search of the site for speeding and it yeilded no results.

It will make interesting reading for any other new comers.

Oh, I didn't realise it had been covered already, sorry.I did a search of the site for speeding and it yeilded no results.

It will make interesting reading for any other new comers.
I'm sure it's not a problem Neil, as making people aware of this could potentially save them their driving licences!

yes this did suprise me but like a good citizen I have been driving slower in my transit since the original thread about it.

Batty

By the way this also applies on motorways for cars such as the rolls royce that are classed as heavy cars.

Amazingly we do not see many rolls royces being pulled for driving in the third lane of the motorway.

Funny that is it not?

By the way this also applies on motorways for cars such as the rolls royce that are classed as heavy cars.Amazingly we do not see many rolls royces being pulled for driving in the third lane of the motorway.

Funny that is it not?
But a Rolls is not a commercial vehicle, so this legislation does not apply.

heres some info if you tow a trailer;-

CAUTION - You could need considerably more than a B+E driving test - if the trailer exceeds 1020kg ulw or the towing vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes and they are being used in connection with a business, you are likely to require a Goods Vehicle Operators Licence, the towing vehicle may require a Tachograph and the driver will have to observe the Drivers Hours Regulations.