Installed ferrite cores onto the live and neutral cables making a buzzing noise?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is a buzzing noise then it suggests that some harmonics may be present on the mains supply

I have never seen ferrites on meter tails before, did you see the croc clip earth on the faraday cage as well, I smell a conspiracy theory going on here😀.
Nice bit of bending work on the faraday cage though.

Regardless of the reason for installing, a ferrite ring has to be chosen for current so it doesn't saturate. Overloaded bead will have harmonics in the magnetism and buzz even if the current is pure 50 Hz.

Regardless of the reason for installing, a ferrite ring has to be chosen for current so it doesn't saturate. Overloaded bead will have harmonics in the magnetism and buzz even if the current is pure 50 Hz.
That's interesting.

Any such things I've ever seen have both cables running through it, so can a single ring on a single cable actually make any difference?

My thoughts exactly. And what’s the earthed metal cage over the meter for? I’d be more worried about the looped service , but what do I know
I haven’t touched any of the wires. It was like this when I brought the house. It makes random buzzing noises I thought by installing Ferrite cores the noise would go away? But it didn’t unfortunately..

If there is a buzzing noise then it suggests that some harmonics may be present on the mains supply
Is it possible to install some kind of a power line filter or something? I’ve looked around and majority are three phase for commercial purposes? I don’t know what to do tbh kind of scared

Suggestion;
1 Remove everything you've added.
2 Have a local spark in to check it's all safe.
3 Stop messing with it.
4 Stop worrying.
Another thing to add. Before adding the ferrite cores. Was sitting there taking my time and using my common sense. After like half hour. Kind of blacked out almost? Got up and layed on the couch. Is this normal? Felt sick too? Is there too much EMI leakage here?

Another thing to add. Before adding the ferrite cores. Was sitting there taking my time and using my common sense. After like half hour. Kind of blacked out almost? Got up and layed on the couch. Is this normal? Felt sick too? Is there too much EMI leakage here?

I would get checked out by a doctor. You may have an underlying condition. I doubt very much it is caused by your electricity meter though. You will get more EMI exposure from your phone!