Interesting tactic

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Venture!

Reaction score
Had a call from a lady in her 70's regarding a flyer pushed through her letterbox, from her "Local, friendly electrical contractor."

Very slick, full colour with some nasty pictures of burned out consumer units. Headline states

"Warning! The rules concerning domestic consumer units (fuse boxes) changed in January of this year. Due to this most consumer units are no longer compliant with UK safety regulations. This could mean your house insurance is invalid. Don't take the risk. Call ********** on ********** today. Prices from £490 plus VAT"

The householder was worried but a bit suspicious of this so called me. I explained what actually changed in January this year and suggested I do an EICR for her. 

Subsequent to this, three of her neighbours, all in their 70's, told her they had had the same leaflet. Now I can't prove my suspicion yet (need to speak to a few more neighbours) but it looks like only the elderly on that street received the leaflet............

. Now I can't prove my suspicion yet (need to speak to a few more neighbours) but it looks like only the elderly on that street received the leaflet............

Probably the 'younger' inhabitants just chucked it straight in the paper recycling box or the shredder..?

that's what happens with junk/spam mail at our house.

:C

should report him to his scam for not knowing the regs... oh wait, either he wont be with one, or they have already accepted him so cant do anything....

lets hope he isnt registered and has used a scam logo, then something might be done....