Introduction

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not a qualified electrician, but gained experience in the forces working with electrician friends and doing renovations on three homes, two of which were in the US. Looking for a solution to a problem which probably is very simple to a knowledgeable person about ringing lighting circuits.

Hi & welcome John

Which and what part of the forces were you in?

Great, I worked with the Navy Seals briefly in Iraq 03, never seen so much Hi tech kit carried on one person. When I sailed on the HMS Galahad down to Iraq, we pulled into Kuwait and there was a US Aircraft Carrier there also, which made our ship look like a tug boat, it was huge.

Don't take it to heart, but we always called you guys our little borrowers. I was a steam engineer and later worked on gas turbines and the fuel distribution systems and the pilots used to refuel from our ship and never brought the right paper work. We would do the numbers to reflect consumption by the engines instead of chasing it up. You guys did get beer on your ships, we only did once every 90 days I think. Two beers. Were not talking ale either.

I've done carrier, Frigates and destroyer.

Don't take it to heart, but we always called you guys our little borrowers. I was a steam engineer and later worked on gas turbines and the fuel distribution systems and the pilots used to refuel from our ship and never brought the right paper work. We would do the numbers to reflect consumption by the engines instead of chasing it up. You guys did get beer on your ships, we only did once every 90 days I think. Two beers. Were not talking ale either.

I've done carrier, Frigates and destroyer.

Haha i'm not surprised, in Bagram, Afghan I lived on the US MRPs for the first two months! If we ever needed anything we would get one our badges and swap it with some geeky badge collector (which was the majority;)) US soldier, normally 101st airborne. I remember getting a new US issued Sleeping bag and Jacket for my Commando dagger and EOD badge. "All the gear no idea" was a common term we used, but yeah we were the poor little cousin. It was embarrassing at times to see what the US Military had compared to the British Military, but our soldiers were always very good at coping with the bare minimum and that sets as apart from most well financed military. It was also very funny when we would see a KFC truck turning up to feed the US soldiers.

Sounds good, I enjoyed my time on the ship, travelling through the Suez Canal, playing Risk and hitting the gym 3 times a day.

Believe it or not the same process happens internally as well. Let's say you need something electrically or hydrostatically tested. That equaled a job order and time wasted. So we'd usually 'acquired' a five pounds container of coffee grounds to expedite the process. Comshaw is what we called it. Drug ops in South America is way more fun than the middle east. Fishing and cheap rum when you hit port.