Invoices

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

trying to build an invoice, what information and things fo you guys include on yours

Thanks

Craig

Depends on your status mate.

Ltd. Co. I am told legal requirement is all directors or none.

VAT registered, VAT no is needed.

We have our bank details in the footer and a note to encourage BACS payment.

Customer contact details, obviously our contact details.

Customer purchase order number space.

Description of works very brief.

VAT rate & VAT value, invoice date, nett & gross totals, payment terms reminder, reference to our T&C's.

HTH

i would say this main thing not to forget to put on is your T&C and the fact that you own all material until paid for in full... !

I use quickbooks which you can actually change what information is on the invoice. My general invoice has company name and address customer name and address, vat no. tax date, invoice no. terms although people pay when they want too. I generally list what materials are used and labour times although if its a quoted bill I will just give a cost labour and materials listed unless its sub contract work when you have to break down material and labour into two parts so you can be taxed by contractor accordingly.

batty,

CIS nonsense is a good point, don't get involved myself, had one customer who tried it on, I sent them the links to the HMRC CIS requirements, and advised them of their status and they paid in full!

Basically their accounts dept. treated every invoice for works as CIS, which they were not! They had no idea how to understand what was what, and this was a VERY BIG "Blue Chip" global contractor!!!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Any tips on how to build your own invoice

batty,CIS nonsense is a good point, don't get involved myself, had one customer who tried it on, I sent them the links to the HMRC CIS requirements, and advised them of their status and they paid in full!

Basically their accounts dept. treated every invoice for works as CIS, which they were not! They had no idea how to understand what was what, and this was a VERY BIG "Blue Chip" global contractor!!!
Problem is cis has been put down to the contractors these days not sure of the ins and outs but they can get fined if they don't do it to the book. I personally don't have large enough turnover so have to sub contract so not quite so much paperwork.

Just use a word/open office template, loads available for download and modify to your requirements. Job done.

Thanks for all the help guys.Any tips on how to build your own invoice
I have always used software quicken to start and then quickbooks. You could always do it on a spreadsheet but I think it easier to get a software package saves a lot of faffing around. Are you vat registerd?

Thanks for all the help guys.Any tips on how to build your own invoice
Not meaning to be daft, but haven't you got an invoice you received from anyone?

You could set up something similar in word. Obviously your details and split things down into parts and labour or more detailed if you see fit.

If you are VAT reg you must have number and VAT on the invoice.

Could put T&C's on the back, if you do maybe reference them on the front.

Thanks batty, no not VAT reg, just starting out so turnover no way near yet.

Apache, great idea, i will see what I can find and do.

Thanks for all the help and replies.

You could just have a duplicate book with hand written invoices get a stamp with your name and adddress on job done. As said a software package is probably easier some are only a few pounds and it saves you a lot of setting up.

Do you have a business bank account????

When I opened up mine they gave you some free books and software with the basic essential admin info for running a busniess...

BUT it has to be said...

months and months and months before I even commenced self employment I had researched a few books from various reputable booksellers..

Where there are Zillions about the practicalities of running your business..

e.g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=STARTING+YOUR+OWN+BUSINESS&x=15&y=11

Writing quotes, doing invoices, bookkeeping etc.. are all pretty basic stuff..

An invoice at its simplest level can be written on any word processor package

Or even handwritten on a triplicate book!

TBH writing an invoice.. is not that vastly different or any harder than writing a quote! :C

Have you got any books on running a business?

If not you probably could do with buying one or two and having a read!

:| :coffee

If you make your own invoice template, do it in excel. You can get it to total up automatically with some cell calcs, no mistakes made then.

Search the internet for Invoice templates, you'll find loads to customize.

If you make your own invoice template, do it in excel. You can get it to total up automatically with some cell calcs, no mistakes made then.Search the internet for Invoice templates, you'll find loads to customize.
Very true!

:Applaud :Salute :x

And there are loads of books telling you how to use the likes of Excel & Word..

(or other brand spreadsheets & word processors)..

for producing your business documents...

i.e. the "Spreadsheets of Dummies" and "Spreadsheets made Simple" type of books..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=excel+for+dummies&sprefix=excel+for+dummies

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=excel+plain+%26+simple&x=13&y=17

Even a table in Microsoft word can do basic totaling of columns of data..

(and put '