Is there a list of general watt usage of household devices?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foolios

Reaction score
I was hoping someone knew where I could find a list that shows general watt usage of normal household electronic devices.

I want to add things up at each room to see where I am spending the most electrical power.

Anyone have a link or ideas on where to start?

Thanks in advance.

btw: This is for the U.S.A.

Wow, you guys are like the Blitzkrieg. Thanks for the links.

I could measure accurately myself. Hmm.. How do I go about getting the accurate readings with a multimeter?

I don't think I can get a direct volt and amp reading from each appliance, could I? I'd have to expose something to do that I guess. I know I've used an ammeter that could read the amps from a wire, it would go around the wire, not actually needing a bare contact. But how would I solve the problem of getting the volts? ANd then even if I could, how would I use that information to calculate how many watts are being used?

Neat power strip indeed!

Wow, you guys are like the Blitzkrieg. Thanks for the links.I could measure accurately myself. Hmm.. How do I go about getting the accurate readings with a multimeter?

I don't think I can get a direct volt and amp reading from each appliance, could I? I'd have to expose something to do that I guess. I know I've used an ammeter that could read the amps from a wire, it would go around the wire, not actually needing a bare contact. But how would I solve the problem of getting the volts? ANd then even if I could, how would I use that information to calculate how many watts are being used?

Neat power strip indeed!
one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POWER-ENERGY-METER-Monitor-Electricity-wholesale_W0QQitemZ250391295795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250391295795&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Ok, following the tutorial on how to calculate watt usage yourself.http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/measure.html#wattsup

3.6 x Kh factor

----------------- = kW

number of seconds

3.6 x 7.2kh

--------

30 seconds for dial to spin once

will give me the KW. But what about the amount of kw used in an hour?

How do I turn the KW into KW/hr?
1 KWh = 1 KW for 1 hour.

So it's the time the applience is used for.

The energy meters will work it out for you