Is this part of the bathroom?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicks electrix

Reaction score
Evening all,

Been asked to do a job in the bathroom and that is to fit a socket outlet for a pressure water pump for a shower. The bathroom is about 6ftX10ft big, it has a cupboard in the corner of it where the hot water cylinder, immersion heater and its isolation is in. They are fitting the pump in the cupboard therefore need a socket outlet in there, all sockets are protected by 30ma RCD. Would this cupboard be classed as part of the bathroom?

Thanks

With the door of the cupboard open is the socket within 3 mtrs of zone 1?

i.e. measuring around the corner from the edge of the bath or shower

If not then it is ok

BRB PG 187 701.512.3 LAST LINE

I checked this with ELECSA a while back , who confirmed that the cupboard was NOT part of the bathroom, so electric controls can be fitted in there . Like Andy I would fit a spur to avoid a socket being misused in that location.

Deke

With the door of the cupboard open is the socket within 3 mtrs of zone 1?i.e. measuring around the corner from the edge of the bath or shower

If not then it is ok

BRB PG 187 701.512.3 LAST LINE
but that would make some sockets on landings and even bedrooms illegal, hell i have at least 3 illegal sockets in my kitchen according to that!

but that would make some sockets on landings and even bedrooms illegal, hell i have at least 3 illegal sockets in my kitchen according to that!
I'd move then! lol

I suppose there is nothing stopping the householder from running an extension lead from the landing into the bathroom to power whatever they need in a bathroom ? but I understand Andy specifying an FCU as there seems to be a serious lack of common sense amongst the public these days and it would cover your butt if anything was to happen like a flat screen tv joining them in the bath .. bad day explode

No that's not true unless your bathroom has no door on it. If its just a shower in a bedroom then sockets would need to be 3m away from the shower tray.

Can the socket not be put under the bath?

Latest posts