Is this safe

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can't fit a 20a dp because what if the aga overloads and pulls 31a?the 32a ring mcb will not trip and 31a flows thru the 20a switch melting it
Yes thats why i put in the IF.......

Robo.......

Ignore the TPN for a minute - IF you work on it, you isolate the whole install - you won`t BE working on live three phase AT ANY TIME.

I`d look to put a new cct in to the AGA, if it were my job. As said previously, just fit a DP switch (no socket outlet), NOT mounted adjacent to anything on another phase. all your dead / live tests would be the same as usual, except PFC. Unless your meter is 660V cat III, you can`t test phase-phase; which usually provides the highest PSC figure (TBH, I`d calculate if from single phase PSC, X2)

HTH

KME

Robo.......Ignore the TPN for a minute - IF you work on it, you isolate the whole install - you won`t BE working on live three phase AT ANY TIME.

I`d look to put a new cct in to the AGA, if it were my job. As said previously, just fit a DP switch (no socket outlet), NOT mounted adjacent to anything on another phase. all your dead / live tests would be the same as usual, except PFC. Unless your meter is 660V cat III, you can`t test phase-phase; which usually provides the highest PSC figure (TBH, I`d calculate if from single phase PSC, X2)

HTH

KME
Thanks, as I said you sometimes have accept the limits on your experience, for me this is a job I'm happy to pass over to someone better qualified, I would rather step away than c**k it up

Thanks, as I said you sometimes have accept the limits on your experience, for me this is a job I'm happy to pass over to someone better qualified, I would rather step away than c**k it up
well spoken,

Now, if only more people would take this stance,

I suppose this is one of my gripes with the short course guys(this forum un-included(is that a word?)), not knowing when to walk away, instead of bulling on ahead and leaving a mess(at best) or something verging on the lethal(or worse). [rant over]

Very mature statement and shows you will always be a good electrician learning all the time.

I am not sure the AGA you are talking about is a 30amp AGA as the only 30AMP AGA would be a Night storage AGA using economy 7 .

The manual for this states you need a 30 Amp supply and also a 3 amp supply to switch AGA.

AGA brought out a couple of years ago a 13 amp electric AGA and I would suspect that is what is fitted as the energy saving devices can only be fitted to these AGA's and not the 30Amp.

Hope that helps

Can you not recommend a spark friend to do the job who then can let you tag along so you can see what he(or she) does to get the experience for the next one?

Can you not recommend a spark friend to do the job who then can let you tag along so you can see what he(or she) does to get the experience for the next one?
good call

I am not sure the AGA you are talking about is a 30amp AGA as the only 30AMP AGA would be a Night storage AGA using economy 7 .The manual for this states you need a 30 Amp supply and also a 3 amp supply to switch AGA.

AGA brought out a couple of years ago a 13 amp electric AGA and I would suspect that is what is fitted as the energy saving devices can only be fitted to these AGA's and not the 30Amp.

Hope that helps
The last Aga I wired had two electric ovens now I was told by the bloke running job it only needed a 13 amp supply but I put 32 amp supply in as a safeguard for future changes. Now with the ovens and the exhaust system the whole supply had to be 40 amp so Aga are making oven that do need large electric supplies and the Aga also needed a Gas supply.

so Aga are making oven that do need large electric supplies and the Aga also needed a Gas supply.
You wait until someone asks you to fit a (non AGA) all electric range cooker with 7 electric hobs, two electric ovens and an electric grill, and a total rating of about 17KVA (then you find the existing feed is 6mm on a 32A, over a long and tortuous route)

You wait until someone asks you to fit a (non AGA) all electric range cooker with 7 electric hobs, two electric ovens and an electric grill, and a total rating of about 17KVA (then you find the existing feed is 6mm on a 32A, over a long and tortuous route)
Always good to have information beforehand on jobs.