Isolator switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gordy,There is no requirement for isolation every 3m, the 3m thing comes from most DNO's only allowing 3m max of tails to be protected by their fuse.

Any more than this (DNO requirements notwithstanding) requires a fused isolator aka KMF to protect the tails, even if the fuse is identical to the DNO device directly upstream.

It should be on the DNO website or available from them FOC, under ESQCR requirements.

As I have said again numerous times we are lucky around here we have a good DNO.
Is that WPD for you Sidey?

We have them, they do try and help but can't always manage it unfortunately.

Safe,

Yes it is WPD, and we also have a local engineering office in our town, and it is possible to get direct line numbers & emails for the engineers, happy days!

If every installation had them we'd never have the cutting of seals issues
I thought there was no need to cut seals - that was done by the 'Fuse Fairy'

I think I'd rather risk the seal fairy grassing me up than use this method.
I think I would choose the gloves, the other method can lead to criminal charges and ultimately a stay at one of those hotels with bars on the windows.

you can easily put an isolator on the wall ready, then cut & strip tail then put into isolator terminal

you could do this without the gloves if your careful, but its much easier & safe to use gloves

I think I would choose the gloves, the other method can lead to criminal charges and ultimately a stay at one of those hotels with bars on the windows.
Criminal damage is a criminal offence, therefore it is for the prosecution to prove whether you did cut a seal - impossible without evidence! and unlikely to be in the public interest. Certainly would not go to jail for it. A private prosecution, is it worth it - still have to prove beyond all reasonable doubt

SteveT,

that is correct & IIRC you are legally trained.

However, the DNO could attempt a prosecution under H&S law where I'm sure you reallise the burden of proof is reversed...

Criminal damage is a criminal offence, therefore it is for the prosecution to prove whether you did cut a seal - impossible without evidence! and unlikely to be in the public interest. Certainly would not go to jail for it. A private prosecution, is it worth it - still have to prove beyond all reasonable doubt
SteveT, the offence is stated on all dno equipment, besides my initial statement " can lead to criminal charges and ultimately a stay at one of those hotels with bars on the windows." There is the " possible death". As we know each are not likely, but ultimately possible. I will not ever condone anyone breaking the seal on any main fuse, as this is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution, the result of this prosecution could be many things "ultimately" even prison. That is the statement I was making and this forum will not under any circumstances advise anyone to break any seal that could lead to this.

SteveT, the offence is stated on all dno equipment, besides my initial statement " can lead to criminal charges and ultimately a stay at one of those hotels with bars on the windows." There is the " possible death". As we know each are not likely, but ultimately possible. I will not ever condone anyone breaking the seal on any main fuse, as this is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution, the result of this prosecution could be many things "ultimately" even prison. That is the statement I was making and this forum will not under any circumstances advise anyone to break any seal that could lead to this.
Quite correct, Sir.

Thinking about this laterally and reading Manators post, there may be a clause in ESQCR which reverses the burden of proof, this is allowable is it not.

Anyway the thing is it is not allowed and it is dangerous, you are almost certainly breaking legislation if you do it so, you must not do it.

Also using gloves and working live is a dubious compliance with EAWR89 and could also result in a prosecution.

The only people who will get away with this are the DNO guys, and they won't all the time!

Law aside and talking theoretically What would a risk assessment conclude is the safest

1. Work live using insulated gloves and tools

2. Pull the fuse (cos the seal isn't on it) and work dead after checking polarity

Just theory
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
This is an excellent example, I think I will pm you my answer.

Manator,

I fully understand your position with regards to the forum.

Since I am free from such bindings I would always ring the fairies than risk my life. It's true we could all do either safely but it only needs one unthinking moment, maybe not even from you, and there's a live tail wagging!

However, never, repeat never pull the fuse.

Of course it's not only the seal that comes under the regulations, a missing seal could be proof that the fuse was pulled, fingerprints may prove you pulled it, seals or no seals. Where it says don't interfere with the DNO's equipment it also means the fuse not just the seal.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:21 ----------

This is an excellent example, I think I will pm you my answer.
PM you my answer, erm, I wonder!

Manator,Since I am free from such bindings I would always ring the fairies than risk my life. It's true we could all do either safely but it only needs one unthinking moment, maybe not even from you, and there's a live tail wagging!
you have obviously never had a fuse holder fall apart in your hands then. even if i do remove a fuse, i still wear gloves

bryn,

I agree wrt to the isolator. This is the best way to do it, also around here the guys will upgrade the tails to 25/35 to match the board tails if you are nice to them!

It used to be around