junction boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are just normal 12v downlights each with there own 60va tranny looped in and out of a porkpie jb.....so there is hardly any distance between tranny and fitting just recommended distance.everybody i know does it this way and has done for years...ive never heard of anybody putting a clicks unit in a domestic property.

the only thing i can think of in his deffence is if you loop in out to the jb's you would get volt drop, the bathroom is only small though....but with the clicks unit they all come out from one place.

what do you reckon?

hes still a nob though hahaha
I would concur with everything you say there Stringy! :) ;)

Re: voltdrop... you can always calc it?

say 1.0mm, 35watt bulb, 2.5m cable..

mv/a/m = 44

so....

44x0.15Ax2.5m / 1000 = 0.016Volts.

so 230v-0.016v = 229.98V @ your transformer!!! :) :^O :^O:^O

there again you may have slight difference of resistance on the individual bulb connections...

or the tolerance of the bulb itself!!! :p :eek: :O:OBlushing

Thus I would refer back to your last line of post... hes a _o_? :p :)Guiness Drink

haha i cant belive that this guy is my boss he should be telling me about this not the other way round!

arr well few months more experience then im on me own....thank god lol

thanks for all the help guys and such a crap subject haha

haha i cant belive that this guy is my boss he should be telling me about this not the other way round!arr well few months more experience then im on me own....thank god lol

thanks for all the help guys and such a crap subject haha
I genuinely think he is getting mixed up with coming off one transformer,

(say a 105w 12v) & boxing off to three 35w 12v bulbs with three different lengths of 12v flex! you'd get visible dimming then most probably? ;)

Go gentle on him!Pray

catch you later guys... ;)

Taxi service collecting kids beckons! :(

I think your boss is talking out of his rear end Stringy, saying the last one will be dimmer is carp. The only problem with JBs under the 17th, I believe, is they are required to have cable grips now, as opposed to the old round 'uns.

Put it like this Stringy, how would you extend a cable without using a joint , stretch it to to reach !! Again , the wisdom is emanating from the nether regions !!

Batty , what the hell are chockblocks ?

Deke

im using these tomorrow for the first time to extended cables under floorboards

no screws

Have just had to install additional e.lights into an existing system, in order to comply with regs; used the new Ashley junction boxes. First time i've used them, bit more pricey than the old brown things but bloomin' good.

Firstly, its not illegal to use junction boxes for downlights. The police are not going to arrest you, are they now ?

Secondly, your boss has been reading the rock adverts and been sucked in. There's no difference now or years ago regarding many items including Jb's. Its just interpretations of the regs change. Loose Jb's were 'accepted' as there was nothing else and were not accessible if fixed. As mentioned its all to do with the cable grip on non-fixed connections. Pucker choc-boxes have cable grips and a screwed on lid. Loads of cheapo choc-box rip-offs have one or neither of these and do not meet the regs either. I personally have been using 20A, 50mm Dia jb,s for years, except i only cut away a small bit of the cutout so the lid grips the tw&e and i wrap the flex to the tranny round the centre post to secure it. There is no way that could be deemed not to the regs.

I contacted the NICEIC about the new rock type Jb's a couple of months ago and there reply was , they are still investigating if they comply with all the regs.

I think your boss is talking out of his rear end Stringy, saying the last one will be dimmer is carp. The only problem with JBs under the 17th, I believe, is they are required to have cable grips now, as opposed to the old round 'uns.Put it like this Stringy, how would you extend a cable without using a joint , stretch it to to reach !! Again , the wisdom is emanating from the nether regions !!

Batty , what the hell are chockblocks ?

Deke
:|

Not wanting to start a fight, or a handbags at dawn here! :_|

but where does it say you need cable grips? ?:|

Tis my understanding that the BIG NO-NO was the old terminal strip wrapped in PVC tape & stuck up the hole in the ceiling... above a light...

But a round j/box? I cannot see a problem?

Reg 526.5

talks about termination in an appropriate enclosure complying with an appropriate standard. the round J/box you currently purchase has the "CE" mark... e.g. suitably enclosed to an appropriate standard.

Reg 526.7

talks about connections in enclosures having sufficient mechanical strength against the relevant external influences.

wot external influences are you going to get at your junctions above the lights ? Mice? I don't think they are going to pull out by magic?

or if in a cellar or loft for example.. cable clipped along beam up to box? is not going to pull out? ?:|

Thats how I read it? (obviously the screw terminal one's must still be accessible) :)

...ive never heard of anybody putting a clicks unit in a domestic property.
Now you have mate. I use `em all the time, and the chocboxes. Chocs are espcially useful for crimped cable connects, or push-fit 2 way light switch, 3 downlights and a fan; plus loop ins.......

:D

:| Not wanting to start a fight, or a handbags at dawn here! :_|

but where does it say you need cable grips? ?:|

Tis my understanding that the BIG NO-NO was the old terminal strip wrapped in PVC tape & stuck up the hole in the ceiling... above a light...

But a round j/box? I cannot see a problem?

Reg 526.5

talks about termination in an appropriate enclosure complying with an appropriate standard. the round J/box you currently purchase has the "CE" mark... e.g. suitably enclosed to an appropriate standard.

Reg 526.7

talks about connections in enclosures having sufficient mechanical strength against the relevant external influences.

wot external influences are you going to get at your junctions above the lights ? Mice? I don't think they are going to pull out by magic?

or if in a cellar or loft for example.. cable clipped along beam up to box? is not going to pull out? ?:|

Thats how I read it? (obviously the screw terminal one's must still be accessible) :)
Its the latest interpretation that the light is removable for access and since the connections and cables are not fixed, cable grips will suffice. The regs have not changed.

Hi Specs, I saw the ref. to cable grips in an advert in the trade mag, for a JB with ,of course, cable grips, perhaps they were bending the regs to suit their product. I still use the traditional ones, as you say , what is going to affect them. I'd search through the 17th but to be honest I don't think we even needed a 17th. the only positive thing is reducing the supp. bonding. Ooooh another thread if I'm not careful

Deke

Hi Specs, I saw the ref. to cable grips in an advert in the trade mag, for a JB with ,of course, cable grips, perhaps they were bending the regs to suit their product. I still use the traditional ones, as you say , what is going to affect them. I'd search through the 17th but to be honest I don't think we even needed a 17th. the only positive thing is reducing the supp. bonding. Ooooh another thread if I'm not carefulDeke
I have a feeling there may be some truth in that!

IMO

if you cant use traditional round j/box...

then you shouldn't be able to use Mk Shower switch.

Because to connect or access it for maintenance you have to pull the wires away from the back box,

where they are only held by the terminal screws NOT an cable grip!? ?:|

and you have to leave a bit of spare cable in the ceiling to allow a bit of pull up & down. :|

p.s.

I don't normally use that style of Shower switch.. I prefer the Crabtree type design..

screw the switch to the ceiling first & diss the neon for testing by taking top off! ;) :D

No.Should it, mate? Everything I buy makes someone richer.

However, Everything I buy, and use on a job, makes me richer, too.

It`s how the world appears to work.
I know what you mean. It's just Dragon's Den irritates me, but me gf makes me watch it :)