junction boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:| Tis my understanding that the BIG NO-NO was the old terminal strip wrapped in PVC tape & stuck up the hole in the ceiling... above a light...

But a round j/box? I cannot see a problem?

:)
I know no-one will agree with me, cos you have always been told it is wrong, but i dont have a problem with taped up chocblocks at all, as long as they are done well and show a degree of finesse.

imagine this; someone is doing a periodic and finds a taped up chocblock in the kitchen ceiling. Oh my god! call the emergency services, youre lives are at risk everybody leave the house immediately youre all going to die!!!

The electrician stands outside and fixes a danger of death sign on the door when the TLC 5th emergency service rolls up. The electric-paramedic jumps out swiftly and asks wheres the problem, the electrician then explains, and the electric-paramedic says ive got the very thing. He then risks life and limb by bravely going into the kitchen and climbing the fibreglass steps. He then with a bead of sweat dripping down his face calmely wraps a chocblock cover around the ticking time bomb of electricity. Then after finally screwing down the lid he goes back to open the front door to the gathered crowd, and says

Can you believe it, just because of this simple bit of plastic, We can all sleep safely in our beds.

I know no-one will agree with me, cos you have always been told it is wrong, but i dont have a problem with taped up chocblocks at all, as long as they are done well and show a degree of finesse.imagine this; someone is doing a periodic and finds a taped up chocblock in the kitchen ceiling. Oh my god! call the emergency services, youre lives are at risk everybody leave the house immediately youre all going to die!!!

The electrician stands outside and fixes a danger of death sign on the door when the TLC 5th emergency service rolls up. The electric-paramedic jumps out swiftly and asks wheres the problem, the electrician then explains, and the electric-paramedic says ive got the very thing. He then risks life and limb by bravely going into the kitchen and climbing the fibreglass steps. He then with a bead of sweat dripping down his face calmely wraps a chocblock cover around the ticking time bomb of electricity. Then after finally screwing down the lid he goes back to open the front door to the gathered crowd, and says

Can you believe it, just because of this simple bit of plastic, We can all sleep safely in our beds.
You painted a wonderful picture then !

"Agree" or "Dissagree" i just liked your story

Mark

Have you throught of using the maintenance free JB's? They are fantastic.

Taped up crimp joints are maintenance free!

Wot do people think will actually happen to a taped joint, left inside an enclosure normally called a ceiling void.

Maintenance free JB's clamp the outer sheath of the cable, therefore reducing the risk of the cables being pulled out of the JB. Better then crimped connections for people that are not experienced in, or confident in crimping. ( is that the diyer?)

I do the joints so that they double back and lie against the cables (loop in, loop out and cable to the fitting) and then double back again to the light fitting, taping up the joint and all the cables together, so pulling on one cable doesnt put any strain on the joint connections. And it looks neat.

if you cant access the terminals of a taped joint, your in the wrong game mate.

There is nothing nicer when doing fault finding and you want to open up a joint tracing some damaged cable or similar and

option 1. nice J/box open quick & easy get on get the job done..

re close the existing box after tests complete, no materials needed.

option 2. fiddling around undoing loads of tape to get to a joint.. :(

then have to either put loads of new tape back round afterward or go and get a box and terminate in accordance with 526.5 (526-03-02 old money).

I know which I prefer....

but then some people don't consider the poor sod who has to access your joints at a later date.. :|

Oh! and NO fire brigade or emergency services required..

just a load of later inconvenience for your fellow sparks! ;) :)

So its totally wrong due to your inconvenience then. Sounds like a good point, it seems a jb is TOO EASY for someone to get at those dangerous terminals

So its totally wrong due to your inconvenience then. Sounds like a good point, it seems a jb is TOO EASY for someone to get at those dangerous terminals
Well if you are so scared of them... you just keep taping them up...

must be very frightening for you..

worrying about all that electricity dripping out of the holes in the jbox!

some people never heard of good workmanship & proper materials? ; \

A joint box requires a tool to get into it, therefore compling with the Regs.

I tape up the joint to hold it all together and the proper materials i get from a proper wholesalers

Its not real chocolate in those choc blocks, you will find something that looks just like one in one of those chocboxs

A joint box requires a tool to get into it, therefore compling with the Regs.
You need a tool to get under floor boards and into the ceiling, and a stanley knife is often quite good for getting tape off, but dont tell spesh.

also wot tool do you need to spin off the lid from a ceiling rose?

You need a tool to get under floor boards and into the ceiling, and a stanley knife is often quite good for getting tape off, but dont tell spesh.also wot tool do you need to spin off the lid from a ceiling rose?
Same tool to pull a recessed ceiling light down to expose your tape joint! ;)

My view is this

go to a house to fit a new light

pendant and ceiling rose needs to be removed connector blocks are needed to make connections

but this light fixes to a bracket with screws

so connector blocks are accessible with the use of a screwdriver

but sometimes its too cramped in the light fitting so you push the blocks into the ceiling nicely taped up

no problem

you still need the screwdriver

Guiness Drink

Latest posts