Light Switch Positions in a Domestic Environment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening Folks,

I have a hypothetical question. If you were wiring a domestic lighting installation say for a single story flat. Is there anything either in BS7671 or in the Building regulations to prevent you from placing all the switches for every light fitting in a central location? I had a look and I can't see anything that suggests that functional switches have to be in the same room as the lights it controls. :)

I would say its allowable under all regulations, however it could also be argued that it would cause inconveniance to the user.

The normal assumption is for the light switch to be in the same room, but some commercial installs will have a central lighting control area.

No problem as far as I'm concerned, many commercial premesis use this setup.

Would be a pain in the arris for switching...........................................2 way in the hall or kitchen would be funROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL:Chair fall

Unless, of course, there is a likelihood of the premises being used by a disabled person - then, IIRC, part "M"(?) applies.

Again, IIRC, isn`t that the one dealing with the switches being contrasting colours to the background, etc. Sure I`ve seen something about the accessories being in a location relative to the area it serves - though I could well be wrong!!!!!?

Latest posts