Lighting and television? =/

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileroutkast

Reaction score
hey everyone, this may be an easy question to answer and me just being inexperienced but here goes. i recently changed a ceiling rose in my mums bedroom for one of the fittings that have the fancy spiral chrome lamp holders. the light fitting works fine but every now and again the television will jump a little, at the same time as the screen jumping the lights will flicker. is there a simple explanation for this or is it jus a reoccuring coincidence?

Loose connection. The arcing will cause RF inteference. Drop the fitting and make sure it's all in properly before something burns down.

I'd double check just to make sure, you may have an areial booster on the lighting circuit which may be causing the tv to jump if theres a fault on the lights.

yea i jus rechecked now and all the connections are fine. how would i know if there is an aerial booster on the lighting circuit?

are u sure? im pretty certain everything was tight!
And I'm pretty sure it isn;t. I'd almost pout money on it not being properly tight. It might be that all the cables are tight in the connections, but something has cracked on a wweak point when shoving it back up, or it could be anything really, just drop it and recheck\reterminate.

yea i jus rechecked now and all the connections are fine. how would i know if there is an aerial booster on the lighting circuit?
I think the aerial booster issue is a red herring. A loose connection will cause RF inteference which wuill affect the TV's regardless of whether there is an aerial amplifier of some variety.

switch your lighting circuit off and see if your tv reception gets worse. Or have a look in the loft where the coax goes, first option is probably better.

yea ive noticed the tv is better when the lights r off
Well that's an unexpected answer!

Something isn;t right, you need to do some more testing and checking of the lighting circuit. Ignore the picture on the TV for now, it isn;t a way of checking hwo well the lighting is wired.

there were no problems before the ceiling rose had been changed. maybe if i make the connections in the loft rather than in the fitting? the fitting may be crampin the connectors, cuz theres two cables in each connector at the minute. flex out from the connectors in the loft and into the fitting givin jus the one conductor of each

If you're pulling the cables into the loft use a junction box rather than just throwing the connectors under the insulation. ;)

If it worked fine before you changed the fitting, and didn;t after, well, I think you know.

haha! yea i think a JB would be best! lol, instead of just lashin a few connector blocks up there. yea hopefully itll all be alright afterwards. job for tomorrow evenin then :)