lights tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob48

Reaction score
situation is that upstair lights circuit has just tripped overnight ( no apparent reason) as in no work been carried out in house etc

its the old rewirable fuse type and theres only two lights on the circuit, ( two bedrooms) every time the fuse is replaced it just trips when attempted to turn power back on is it probably that two wires are touching somewhere to cause this

all connections in ceiling rose and switches seem ok as far as i can see any help guys would be appreciated thanks in advance

Rob

May I ask where in South Wales are you, Rob?

Rob; turn the lights off and see if the fuse still operates.

If the fuse operates when the lights are turned on it will

indicate where the fault may be and will shorten time to

locate fault.

As Zee says, you need a tester for continuty and insulation.

May I ask where in South Wales are you, Rob?
Im near caerphilly in the rhymney valley what about you?---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:36 ----------

you saying that those two tests will probably find the fault, and yes i do have multi tester thanks for the reply again

Rob

Bit further east than most of us, though I think we do have a member over that way?

I do get over there, but normally on industrial or commercial type works.

If you can isolate it to a particular light that will help a lot.

Else safely undertake some dead tests on the circuit.

Did it rain overnight?

i.e. have you had a roof leak?

Try also removing the lamps from the fittings.

Rob; turn the lights off and see if the fuse still operates.If the fuse operates when the lights are turned on it will

indicate where the fault may be and will shorten time to

locate fault.

As Zee says, you need a tester for continuty and insulation.
Thanks for the tip, but the power trips wether lights are switched on or offare you saying that if it stays on while switches are off the problem is probably with a cable connecting the switch?

Can you get access to cables above the ceiling ?.

As above tho do a continuity and IR test on the circuit and see what the results are then start breaking down the circuit until you find the fault.

Let us know how you get on :)

Yes Rob; if the fuse remains intact it is a switch wire fault,

line to earth or line to neutral.

If the fuse fails with the lights in the off position it is the

switch feed from the fuse to the switches, deeper in the

installation and either a line to earth or line to neutral fault.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you confirm that the lighting fuse is blowing when energized and its not a seperate Rcd or Elcb tripping ?
sorry i should have been more clear, the rewirable fuse isnt actually blowing, but the power trips the whole house off yes its an old type of isolating device

sorry i should have been more clear, the rewirable fuse isnt actually blowing, but the power trips the whole house off yes its an old type of isolating device
so what is actually tripping then, since an 'isolator' is just that, it will never trip

As i thought, its an RCD or a ELCB, doubt if it an isolator. Remember this is the DIY section.

Anyhow, the fault is still most likely a short circuit, but it could be between any of the cables on the circuit.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:36 ----------

Any chance of a picture of the device Rob

monkey,

It could still be an RCD.

OP, we really need more info to give you an idea of a solution or which way to go.

If you are getting out of your depth then it may be best to call in a professional.