Long meter tails and a high demand house

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few weeks back I did a consumer unit move.  The customer is in the process of getting SSE to move the incomer (the room where the incomer, meters and CU was, is going to become a bathroom hence it all had to be moved)

SSE have now said, rather than re route the supply to the new CU location, they are going to fit an external meter box, which passes the buck back to me for long (about 5 metre) merer tails out to the meter box.

Normally I would put a switch fuse with an 80A fuse in the meter box.  But this house is heated with a monster electric boiler that on it's own draws 50A, then there is all the other house loads including electric shower and all electric cooking.

So what's wrong with a 100A fuse in the switch fuse?  Yes there will be no discrimination with the suppliers fuse, but I would have done my duty to not be relying on their fuse would I not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say yes  ,  just shove it in .    I did some similar moves last year including my own house  ,  not with the loads you have there so 80A  fuses where they fitted 100A   (  Actually my own  is a 60A ) DNO is 80A .

Photo0484 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I spoke to someone from DNO they told me they don't fit 100A's anymore as the meters aren't rated for it. Anything over 80A has to be CT metering. Could all be a load of rollox, but that's what the horse said.