mA Tong Tester recommendation cheapo.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yip realise that about the parallel earth paths through soggy bricks, but never noticed dampness when I was rewiring it. I had to do it the way I did as I didn’t have a mA tong tester so I was putting my Fluke 87 in series with it and didn’t fancy putting that in series with a meter tail. As I was being a bit impatient I was taking the best route I could think of. I do however appreciate what you are saying and Thankyou for that, and I was wondering how often a fridge freezer went through the defrost cycle.

My mate is dropping of a mA tong tester so will do the main tail checks although I think it will be ok as it is only a monthly trip.

Next stage I think is change the USB socket.

Then change the RCBO

cheers

Definitely around the meter tails that way it “sees” what the RCD “sees”, second time I have typed that to someone tonight.

And yes tong tester down in Sunny South Wales too, but it is an old term.

Just as an update to this thread.
I found out what was tripping my RCBO, I fitted a power failure alarm on the ring final so if I was in the house I would know exactly when it tripped, soon worked it out that every now and again say once a month that when the washing machine (Hotpoint Aquarius) was at 2 minutes left on the wash so just when it was going supersonic on its final spin and only sometimes it would trip the RCBO.

Yesterday by chance I was beside the washing machine when it was accelerating up to its fastest part of its final spin then all a sudden I saw a blue flash come out of the washing machine, circuit tripped, alarm on, reset RCBO and it automatically finished cycle no probs.

Since I saw a blue flash I was fairly convinced that when I took the covers of it today I would see flash witness marks inside. Wrong everything looked very clean, even clipped of the cable ties of the cable loom nothing under them either, nothing rubbing on the drum or motor or heavy carbon build up at brushes. Only bit I didn’t check was the pcb which was hidden in a plastic clippy case that I didn’t want to break today, so if problem persists that will be my next move.
PS I bought a mA tong tester Di-Log DL6506 from TLC.