Main protective bonding conductors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...............the new outside tap, and that is nothing to do with electrics so how could burying a copper pipe under the patio to a standpipe possibly change the safety of the electrical installation.?
The person who ran this pipe from inside the building and buried it under the patio would be responsible for bonding it at that time.

You can only go by your test results at the time of Inspection & Test - you cannot allow for future modifications, whatever they may be.

Tell me something, Steptoe....

My central heating system is run in copper pipe with a number of plastic connectors/elbows on it.

Would you therefore bond each individual section of pipe back to the MET??

And Canoeboy........Are you related to him??? Get your head out from up his ****.

He hasn't made that many good comments FFS.

the water pipe on the supply side of the stoptap/meter is not yours, you are not allowed to do anything with it, tell the water board you want it changed if you are that bothered about it.
Not that it has any relevance to the particular topic in hand... :)

But I do hate it when incorrect statements are banded around.... ; \

I think you will find that the water boards responsibility ends at the stop-cock in the street outside your house. :Salute

All pipework running under, through, over you property is yours..

and as such its you responsibility to pay for any damage or leaks that occur on your land!

e.g.

electric supply cable damaged under you drive.. Electric men pay to come and fix it...

Water supply pipe gets damaged under your drive....

You have to pay to get it fixed!!

I believe the Gas boys are the same as lektrix!

But the water pipe before the internal stop tap is still your pipe to look after and maintain!

Had this question crop up on a few jobs...

one with incoming Lead pipe...

we ring em up thinking Mr Splish-Splash would come and do it..

they say ****** off sort it yourself or pay us to do it for you.

but its your pipe.. Not ours!

dunno if other water boards are different tho! ?:|

:C

for your Info, some of canoes stuff doesnt gel at all with me,

and yes it does have a bearing on your install,

it was only used as a very simply example,

so, you get 22.1K ohms today, you meter gets calibrated next month and is found to be over reading by 0.2K ohms,

what do you do?

just leave it in the knowledge your meter may have been wrong when you measured it?

I really dont know why people have this big issue with MEBs and NOT doing them,

does no one ever learn

SAFETY FIRST anymore ?

as for your heating with all those plastic connectors, nothing to do with the electrical install, the regs still require the consumers side of the stoptap MEB'd, (unless your meter is reading 22.1K ohm or better :) )

oh, and dont get Bobs brother smokin' Joe round to do your plumbing in future, ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:48 ----------

Not that it has any relevance to the particular topic in hand... :) But I do hate it when incorrect statements are banded around.... ; \

I think you will find that the water boards responsibility ends at the stop-cock in the street outside your house. :Salute

All pipework running under, through, over you property is yours..

and as such its you responsibility to pay for any damage or leaks that occur on your land!

e.g.

electric supply cable damaged under you drive.. Electric men pay to come and fix it...

Water supply pipe gets damaged under your drive....

You have to pay to get it fixed!!

I believe the Gas boys are the same as lektrix!

But the water pipe before the internal stop tap is still your pipe to look after and maintain!

Had this question crop up on a few jobs...

one with incoming Lead pipe...

we ring em up thinking Mr Splish-Splash would come and do it..

they say ****** off sort it yourself or pay us to do it for you.

but its your pipe.. Not ours!

dunno if other water boards are different tho! ?:|

:C
didnt know that SL,

any dealings I ever had was we had to get permission from them to move any water pipes on our property,

needed to rerouted it for an extension and they had to come out, survey, give us permission, either pay them or use from a list of contractors they specified.

for your Info, some of canoes stuff doesnt gel at all with me,
The comment was meant the other way round - for Canoe to get his head from your ****

so, you get 22.1K ohms today, you meter gets calibrated next month and is found to be over reading by 0.2K ohms,

what do you do?

just leave it in the knowledge your meter may have been wrong when you measured it?
You could apply this logic to any testing that you do.

I really dont know why people have this big issue with MEBs and NOT doing them,

does no one ever learn

SAFETY FIRST anymore ?
I have a plastic incomming water supply - it changes to metal at the stop-cock..

.......and, yes, when I did my own CU swap a few months back....I bonded it with 10mm:)

:run

didnt know that SL,

any dealings I ever had was we had to get permission from them to move any water pipes on our property,

needed to rerouted it for an extension and they had to come out, survey, give us permission, either pay them or use from a list of contractors they specified.
Had another one...

Shower playing up..

I check all the electrics all fine...

But water pressure from street gone really low...

the homeowner rings the water board...

All they would test is the pressure in the street outside..

said...

everything good out here on the pavement its a problem on your pipes!!

They wouldn't even entertain coming in the property to test at the stop-tap..

said Not my problem! :(

The comment was meant the other way round - for Canoe to get his head from your ****You could apply this logic to any testing that you do.

I have a plastic incomming water supply - it changes to metal at the stop-cock..

.......and, yes, when I did my own CU swap a few months back....I bonded it with 10mm :)

why?

what was its resistance to earth?

it probably didnt need it.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:59 ----------

bed for me,

I'll have another look in the morning if we havent all been washed away be a burst water main caused by a wrongly fitted 951! . :D

didnt know that SL,

round here, they will only take responsibilty for the pipe upto where it enters the building. i.e the point where it passes through the wall

Interesting posts. Thanks for all the replies & opinions.

So maybe its best to install 10mm main protective bonding conductors to all services entering the property regardless of whether they're plastic or not. That way everybody's happy.

The only time it may become a bit of an issue is when Mrs Jones wants an extra socket in her kitchen and no main protective bonding is installed. CU is 25metres away from the incoming plastic water supply. (copper pipes inside house)

So would you run your 10mm all the way to where the service enters the house or bond the nearest water pipe to the CU?

Cheers

GS

maybe not the nearest,,,,but where you can get to without a massive upheaval.
So, same scenario that GSElectrical gave you.....but the incomming water is metal??

it is regardless of what the supply is in,

it is in relation as to the stoptap.! headbang

Im not in the least caring about where the waterboard say their responsibility stops, (although good to know SL.) ,

Im more concerned with what the electrical regs and statutory law say about MEBs,

and they are concerned with the installation side of things,

the way I understand this is, the installation side starts at the point of isolation, be that via a 60947-3/5419/main switch, or a tap (which I dont know the BS of cos Im not a plumber, do they even have standards?),

to me that is the start of the installation,

or do you have a better explanation?

The pipe needs to be 'extraneous' - so, obviously the material that the pipe is made of as it enters the building matters. (well before the stop cock)

If it was made of banana skin it's not going to be extraneous, is it?

Joking apart - I've just 'megger'd' a banana - 85 K ohms - it dropped to 62 K ohms when I pierced the skin with the probes.........so it's never gonna be 'extraneous'.

Hehehe joking apart, you actually did an insulation resistance test on a banana!! You are funny!!

Actually I was going to do the same but we are all out of bananas!!

We also need to check the insulation resistance of it at different stages of decay.

ADS, glad you have volunteered to check the insulation resistance of the banana over the next 10 years and report daily.

For scientific completeness and to provide a good robust legal defence we will need several samples and control measures as per sound scientific practice.

We look forward to your thesis, please do not disappoint. ;)

This guy related to you ADS? Banana

DSCN0282.JPG

why do a continuity test on a banana if you dont even MEB water pipes?
But I do!!..........

Post number 45:

I have a plastic incomming water supply - it changes to metal at the stop-cock....

.......and, yes, when I did my own CU swap a few months back....I bonded it with 10mm:)