Making my bench grinder run backwards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Rexon 6" Bench Grinder

similar to this Handytools.co.uk Limited Grinders

Now I have a special purpose where I take all the guards off and need the wheel running away from me - so I work from behind. The switch is hard to reach

Is there a simple way of altering the direction of rotation? Swap L for N?

Don't want to break it, but would be handy if possible.

I have a Rexon 6" Bench Grinder similar to this Handytools.co.uk Limited Grinders

Now I have a special purpose where I take all the guards off and need the wheel running away from me - so I work from behind. The switch is hard to reach

Is there a simple way of altering the direction of rotation? Swap L for N?

Don't want to break it, but would be handy if possible.
Dont think you are going to be able to do that easily on one of them little jobbies??

L&N will have no effect cuz its AC current anyway?

can't think of how you can modify a small grinder like that......

but then it is late.... and Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

its all down to the motor windings & magnetic fluxy bits???????????? ?:| ? :|

Single phase motors can be reversed by changing the polarity of the field windings in relation to the amature windings.

How easy this is depends on how accesible the wiring to the windings is.

Go in and look for four wires going to the motor, reverse two of these and it should work.

Fit an alternative DP switch some where, maybe on the wall ?
As I was lying in bed last night I suddenly thought moving the switch to the back may be the best idea!

I'll look on Maplins

:)

As I was lying in bed last night I suddenly thought moving the switch to the back may be the best idea!I'll look on Maplins

or maybe to the side - at least you can then use it from both sides

running it backwards is a very bad idea - the nuts holding the stone in place are designed to run one way. reverse it and they will come loose

or maybe to the side - at least you can then use it from both sides
I use it for sharpening hoof knives so have a grinding wheel on 1 side and a buffing wheel on the other - hence the reason I need it turning away from the edge! All the rests and guards are removed so couldn't use it for much else (does get a keen edge on me penknife!)

running it backwards is a very bad idea - the nuts holding the stone in place are designed to run one way. reverse it and they will come loose
You added to your post when I wasn't looking! See my reasoning in the post above - has never been an issue yet. As I sharpen and polish with the wheel running away from the edge there is much less force on the retaining nut than under normal use. Also a bit of CA glue helps ;)

You added to your post when I wasn't looking! See my reasoning in the post above - has never been an issue yet. As I sharpen and polish with the wheel running away from the edge there is much less force on the retaining nut than under normal use. Also a bit of CA glue helps ;)
i forgot to add the bit about the nuts coming loose when i hit send. didnt think anyone would be so quick and read/reply during the time i edited it!

even if you dont put much force on it, still do not run it backwards because they will come loose.

now to safely run it 'backwards', could you not fully remove all gaurds/sides etc and swap them, so the accessible part of the blade is at the back? would still need the switched moved

i forgot to add the bit about the nuts coming loose when i hit send. didnt think anyone would be so quick and read/reply during the time i edited it!
He don't need a grinding wheel, full stop, let alone run it backwards. He is very sharp is our Patch. :^O

I was online at the time ;)

now to safely run it 'backwards', could you not fully remove all gaurds/sides etc and swap them, so the accessible part of the blade is at the back? would still need the switched moved
No - the buffing mop wouldn't fit into the guard anyway and you need access all arround to sharpen the hoof knife.

I also use a special rubber based grinding wheel that doesn't really create sparks, does a much finer job than the standard carbrundum (sp?) ones. There's much less force on the wheel.

I have a wetstone grinder and every now and again the edge bites and loosens the wheel- then I tighten it up. No great problem really.

Tiz only me who uses it in my shed alone so H&S doesn't apply. I've already removed the light (see pic in origional post). :)

But input appreciated (from you all :D )

Thanks

A hoof knife for them that don't know

J32h-series.gif

this sounds like a very dangerous practice ,i once saw somebody try to use a grinder that had been phased wrong ,the piece he was grinding nearly took his head off

yours benji

You can reverse a single phase motor if, as posted earlier, you can swop either the field or armature pair, not both.

But you should listen to what AndyC has posted and NOT do it. There is a danger of the wheel flying off with the holding nut thread going the same way as the wheel.

Also if someone else came to use it they would not expect the wheel to go clockwise, could cause a nasty accident. In fact as my renewed ECS Safety Certificate has just arrived , I hearby order you not to mess with the thing at all.

Leave it Patch and find another method !!! ]:) ] :)

Everyone's concern is appreciated. But there's no other way.

It is safer to grind away from yourself as the object is thrown away from you rather than towards you. You can only polish away from the edge or the item will snatch.

I have some Loctite on the threads but what's the consequence of a grinding wheel coming off? Not a lot. I do some wood turning and when a large bowl blank flies past your ear it raises the heart rate.

I'm not worried about the safety of the sharpening

No one else even has a key to my shed/workshop/refuge ;)

It's reaching between 2 rotating wheels to turn the grinder off that's dangerous.

You'll be wanting me to fix the grinder to the bench next...........

Everyone's concern is appreciated. But there's no other way. It is safer to grind away from yourself as the object is thrown away from you rather than towards you. You can only polish away from the edge or the item will snatch.

I have some Loctite on the threads but what's the consequence of a grinding wheel coming off? Not a lot. I do some wood turning and when a large bowl blank flies past your ear it raises the heart rate.

I'm not worried about the safety of the sharpening

No one else even has a key to my shed/workshop/refuge ;)

It's reaching between 2 rotating wheels to turn the grinder off that's dangerous.

You'll be wanting me to fix the grinder to the bench next...........
Oh don't tell me its not fixed !!

Latest posts