Making my own rig

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at the price of that rcd i nearly spat my creme egg out all over the computer :eek:
:OROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

You did you sod!!!!! :|

it ended up all over my keyboard X(

Please keep your mouth shut when chewing your eggs please Badger!!! ]:) ] :)

The consumer unit comes with a 100A DP main switch. I presume i need to get a RCD to install in the Consumer unit or would the rcd adaptor that plugs into the wall socket do temporarily?

(I also presume i need 3 core flex and the neutral and live cables go into main switch (E-E too)

Has anyone got any diagrams how RCDs and main switches are wired up in a consumer unit? That would really help! Thanks!

There's a chance I may have mentioned this already (I have mentioned similar things to many people) but get yourself a copy of BS7671:2008 and the On-Site Guide. The OSG shows connection methods for common circuits and gives guidance on wiring and testing, some of the guidance is on RCD's\consumer units. ;)

Has anyone got any diagrams how RCDs and main switches are wired up in a consumer unit? That would really help! Thanks!
Hager installation instructions

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Hager/Hager_VC_User.pdf

MK has a little info mixed in with the hard sell

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK_Sentry/SENTRY_prod1.pdf

MK Rcd info

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK_Sentry/RCDs.pdf

Wylex don't tell you much

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Wylex/Wylex17.pdf

don't know if that's any help?

Hello again! Got most of the stuff. Just need the supply cable. Can anyone find one on eBay? What size conductors do i need? Or will a normal 5a plug top and cable do? (Will i have to strip the cable to get the earth wire out, then earth it to the earth terminal in the CU?

Thanks mateDo i need 2 or 3 core.
What would you use the third core for in a plugtop?

As a fellow electrical student I am a bit concerned about you setting up your test rig, it seems like you should either wait a little longer until you have more knowledge or ask your tutors and/or a competent electrician to supervise your installation.

I admire your keen attitude but remember, we are still learning and mistakes can have very serious consequences!

I suggest if you are going to go ahead with this that you post a wiring diagram of your proposed system up here for the more experienced sparks to look over.

And deffo at least read the OSG and be sure you understand what it means!

My 2 pence. :)

im reading this as hes not sure wether he needs 2 cores just live and neutral or 3 cores live neutral and EARTH (SO VERY IMPORTANT) You will need a 3 core flexibe cable whereby the brown will be a live conductor, blue will be your neutral conductor and the earth conductor will be your green and yellow wire

im reading this as hes not sure wether he needs 2 cores just live and neutral or 3 cores live neutral and EARTH (SO VERY IMPORTANT) You will need a 3 core flexibe cable whereby the brown will be a live conductor, blue will be your neutral conductor and the earth conductor will be your green and yellow wire
Thanks guys, I only queried the 2 core and 3 core cable bit because i asked my tutor and he didnt really give me a straight answer and just said that "all you need is live and neutral, RCD will protect your from shock" I thought this was incorrect and that you shouldnt rely on an RCD for protection and its for earth leakage anyway! So i was going to get a 3 core anyway and wire it up but just thought i would ask to double check.I will post up some wiring diagrams soon when i finally get all the bits i need.

AaaaaH, thats not how i read it but i think you are right, phew.........!

Be interesting to see your wiring diagrams when you're done Kiwi.

:)

Thanks guys, I only queried the 2 core and 3 core cable bit because i asked my tutor and he didnt really give me a straight answer and just said that "all you need is live and neutral, RCD will protect your from shock" I thought this was incorrect and that you shouldnt rely on an RCD for protection and its for earth leakage anyway! So i was going to get a 3 core anyway and wire it up but just thought i would ask to double check.I will post up some wiring diagrams soon when i finally get all the bits i need.
but without the earth, RCD will only disconnect once your the earth path, with the earth, RCD should disconnect before you can touch it (providing its a L-E fault)! i would recommend you find a new lecturer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

I have had all the stuff for about 3 months now and i have been basically doing 1 way light switching and now starting to do 2 way lighting but i need 3 core t+e for that so in the mean time i have been stripping 2 core twin & earth and using the conductors as strappers etc.

Will look on eBay now for 1 metre of 3 core t+e.

In my rig at the end of the year i need to do some radial circuits so bought myself some switched sockets and im going to do a radial but what size MCB do i need?

I immediately thought 32a MCB but i think thats too high. 16a mcb is for spurs so what would be suitable for 4 switched sockets in 2.5mm t+e in a radial circuit?

Thanks guys!

Will get some pictures up soon too!