Making my own rig

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my rig at the end of the year i need to do some radial circuits so bought myself some switched sockets and im going to do a radial but what size MCB do i need?

I immediately thought 32a MCB but i think thats too high. 16a mcb is for spurs so what would be suitable for 4 switched sockets in 2.5mm t+e in a radial circuit?
20A, single leg. Think about it! ;)

What can 2.5mm cable handle?

WE WANT PICTURES!

:D

Will look on eBay now for 1 metre of 3 core t+e.
Where about in the country are you KiwiNCFC?

I must have an Off-Cut of 3core+E you could have! :|

Dunno how much it would cost to post though.......

surely A local electrician would have a metre or two you could have .. ?:|

:| :eek:

Surely a local wholesaler would sell a meter or two... I know CEF do cuts....
Agreed...

I was just thinking of the even cheaper option...

e.g. If Kiwi was local to me I would give a couple of meters for nowt...

As customers have already paid me for it anyway no real loss!

I have given odd left over bits of stuff to our local college electrical dept in the past..

save chucking it & goes to good use to help others;)

I am guessing Noz, if you knew of a college student who needed a couple of meters of cable once in a while, it wouldn't break you bank?

:)

Agreed...I was just thinking of the even cheaper option...

e.g. If Kiwi was local to me I would give a couple of meters for nowt...

As customers have already paid me for it anyway no real loss!

I have given odd left over bits of stuff to our local college electrical dept in the past..

save chucking it & goes to good use to help others;)

I am guessing Noz, if you knew of a college student who needed a couple of meters of cable once in a while, it wouldn't break you bank?

:)
I was going for the easy option, he should be able to get a couple of meters for <

Norwich maybe?NWFC?
Ruddy ek sellers...................

Lateral thinking rules the day!! :Applaud :Applaud:Applaud

that is one helluva good theory sir! :x

I am well impressed with your powers of deduction...

DEDUCTION not Seduction......

(we'll have Deke Sandra Deke out in a bit if you go on like that!]:)ROTFWLROTFWL!!!)

I am obviously too lubricated to think in your wise ways 'Sir Sellers'!

GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

:Applaud :Applaud:Applaud:Applaud

Thanks SL,

I see your so deep in the sauce that you missed the 'deliberate' spelling mistake, NWFC

Oops:Blushing

Very astute :D
Show off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X(

once again the Cow upstages the Guinea Pigs ignorance!!

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

Its a good job I've GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

Or I may come round and thump you tomorrow!ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

Show off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X( once again the Cow upstages the Guinea Pigs ignorance!!

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

Its a good job I've GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

Or I may come round and thump you tomorrow!ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL
Tomorrow? I'm out Thursday :D

Im in norwich.

I might go down to b&q and get some 3 core there. I get 20% off so shouldnt be too expensive.

Thanks for the offer though, very kind!

Pictures will be up soon!

Hi Kiwi,

Good to hear your rigs progressing , I had a stroke of luck with mine a friend at college with me is working on a refurb job on USAF base and has been able to supply me with a Crabtree Starbreaker Consumer unit and a few end of rolls 4mm and 1.5mm along with a few switched fused faceplates so it coming on , just got to get the sockets and back boxs now , I have the same issue with 3+E but i just strip an extra bit of 2+E for the 3rd wire.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx348/androiduk2002/DSCF0515.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx348/androiduk2002/DSCF0516.jpg

Hi Kiwi,Good to hear your rigs progressing , I had a stroke of luck with mine a friend at college with me is working on a refurb job on USAF base and has been able to supply me with a Crabtree Starbreaker Consumer unit and a few end of rolls 4mm and 1.5mm along with a few switched fused faceplates so it coming on , just got to get the sockets and back boxs now , I have the same issue with 3+E but i just strip an extra bit of 2+E for the 3rd wire.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx348/androiduk2002/DSCF0515.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx348/androiduk2002/DSCF0516.jpg
Nice one! Looks good!

Pics of my rig will be up today but its very messy. I hardly have no money at the moment so i have no cable clips, no screws for the ceiling rose, and no earth sleeving.

Nice one! Looks good!Pics of my rig will be up today but its very messy. I hardly have no money at the moment so i have no cable clips, no screws for the ceiling rose, and no earth sleeving.
Im quite lucky in that area , even tho money is extremely tight due to being out of work since October 2008 Ive always been a keen DIYer so screws are a plenty as for cable clips ive only got 1mm so far but i am like the college I reuse as often as i can same goes with earth sleeving and brown sleeving, for the ceiling rose I use 2 small pieces of wood to lift it off the board enough.

Nice one! Looks good!Pics of my rig will be up today but its very messy. I hardly have no money at the moment so i have no cable clips, no screws for the ceiling rose, and no earth sleeving.
I have sent you a PM

Here are the pictures:

Please excuse the mess at the moment and also the lack of equipment, i have a very basic tool set consisting of 1 vde screwdriver and cable strippers :)

I have been doing 1 way lighting at the moment, basic but its a start, next will be 2 way lighting then what else? I have got some switched sockets so will do a radial. Maybe a spur when i get the hang of stuff.

21mdtz4.jpg

Also, in the ceiling rose i have left the grey installation out of the rose but my tutor says that it needs to be in there a little bit, is this right?

maxe1s.jpg

Also, in the ceiling rose i have left the grey installation out of the rose but my tutor says that it needs to be in there a little bit, is this right?
Hello Mate,

Yes - That is correct. Take the sheathing (Grey) into each accessory by a minimum of 10mm.

Hello Mate,Yes - That is correct. Take the sheathing (Grey) into each accessory by a minimum of 10mm.
Cheers thats great :Applaud My spelling is poor today i spelt insulation as installation!

Too much strongbow last night at leyton orient me thinks!