Makita Li-Ion Batteries

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any success repairing the Makita 18.0V, 3.0Ah, BL1830 batteries?

Decided to charge one of them mid-way through use and have the fast beep from the charger with alternating red/green LED. 

From what I've read the 1st one or two cells in the pack power the onboard "chip" and when you get this fault on the charger you should replace them asap. If you don't, and keep attempting to charge then you "brick" the battery. Seems there's some memory thing with the chip that won't let it accept a charge even if you've replaced the cells.

I've the second remaining battery and a "no name", again 3.0Ah cheapo copy as backup but thought I'd have a crack repairing if I can.

Btw, just done an old DeWalt 2.0Ah pack with NiMH cells from Hong Kong and upped the capacity from 2.0Ah to 3.6Ah but that's not got any fancy chip in it. That's working a treat. FFS do you think I can find the seller again to get some more!!!  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not tried repairing them, but I did buy some no name replacements... They're useless, don't last and throw an error when charging.. Never again

Originals from here on in
I bought some Axminster 3Ah ones the other year when they were on offer (£90ish for 2). 1 went faulty the other month and I got a new 4Ah one as a warranty replacement no hassle.

I would never buy originals again, not at over twice the price of the Axminster 4Ah ones anyway.

Ta. Just ordered another 15 cells from Hong Kong for the Dewalt, finally found the seller - they're 3.4Ah not 3.6Ah. £21.26 with free postage and a couple of hours soldering when I get them.

I bricked both my makita 10.8v batteries within 5 minutes ffs. Bought some cheapos which....... cannot be dropped lol but are charging ok so far :)

Just to clarify, cheap batteries direct from China and/or via random Ebay sellers = risky.

I used the cheap Chinese batteries from a reputable UK supplier with a decent warranty.

why not just buy decent tools to start with
It's not a case of not having decent tools, I want more than 2 batteries for my 5 Makita cordless tools and I am not paying £120 each for them. You can get decent aftermarket batteries with a 3 year warranty for half the price. You'd have to be mental to buy branded.

It's not a case of not having decent tools, I want more than 2 batteries for my 5 Makita cordless tools and I am not paying £120 each for them. You can get decent aftermarket batteries with a 3 year warranty for half the price. You'd have to be mental to buy branded.
jaysus,

thats stoopid money!!!!!!!

I have 6 batteries for four tools, and at £120 each for batteries, my tools work out a lot cheaper than yours for a much better quality,

go figure,,,,

not knocking you for having makita, but sometimes they suck you in by giving a deal on stuff with no batteries,

thats always why Ive avoided those kit things, no batteries, and, I dont need another torch,!!!!

EDIT, : make that 7 batteries for 5 tools if you include the radio,

and, the last genuine battery I bought cost me £20, ok, it was only a 2Ah one though,  :|

why not just buy decent tools to start with

Milwaukee batteries come with a 3year warranty, not many others do,,,,,
Um.......Makita batteries do have a 3 year warranty funnily enough - I must check when I bought mine. I must admit though I was looking at the Milwaukee stuff in Plumb Centre on Saturday when doing some DIY stuff at home - they have some "deals" on them at the moment 

Recommend a good place to buy?

Don't know where your buying your Makita batteries from at £120 each, I bought one of these not long back.
That's not bad, maybe they were £120 for a twin pack now I think about it. Either way, still rather buy a 4Ah Axminster one for £40oddish (on offer recently). Doesn't help that they keep adding Ah's on so I always feel out of date and prices keep moving, now on to 5Ah.

jaysus,

have you felt the weight of them?

I'd rather stick to more 3s than anything else,

soon gets to you when you are swinging it all day or its hanging from your belt,  :|

I have had my Makita batteries do the 2 colour funny beep a few times.

I take them out and put it back in charger and it usually works fine, if not, sometimes its hot i let it rest for a little, put it back and it works fine.

At my local tool shop who also repair, he told me they have loads of cordless li-ion brought in that is ment to be broken. He said the li-ion battery does not like cold temperature, once it warms up it is fine.

I bought the Makita drill + impact driver 18v li-ion set when they first came out, it is still going although the batteries now dont have the best power to drill through a joist with a 20mm flat bit. Before Christmas i bought the new brushless set in black, fantastic power, though i dont like getting my new set dirty.

I have had my Makita batteries do the 2 colour funny beep a few times.

I take them out and put it back in charger and it usually works fine, if not, sometimes its hot i let it rest for a little, put it back and it works fine.

At my local tool shop who also repair, he told me they have loads of cordless li-ion brought in that is ment to be broken. He said the li-ion battery does not like cold temperature, once it warms up it is fine.

I bought the Makita drill + impact driver 18v li-ion set when they first came out, it is still going although the batteries now dont have the best power to drill through a joist with a 20mm flat bit. Before Christmas i bought the new brushless set in black, fantastic power, though i dont like getting my new set dirty.
I think I'll go Milwaukee when funds allow. The batteries are cheaper anyway than Makita. After the Makita's 80Nm torque I wouldn't want to go any less.

Going to warm this duff Li-ion cell up and see if that works. What annoys me is that I've always kept it charged. Read that if you don't keep charged up it's a problem.

I'd rather stick to more 3s than anything else,

soon gets to you when you are swinging it all day or its hanging from your belt,  :|
The 4s & 5s are more handy for winding M12x150 Thunderbolts in concrete or using the circular saw in wet wood.