marking out downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
evening all

ive seen a while ago a tool for marking out downlights, it used laser and measured everything out for you, but cant find anything like it now.

i think i saw it in PE mag but not 100%.

anyone know what im talking about or can recommend any tools that you use.

cheers wayne

Same as Andy uses but with the addition of a ball of string & panel pins for the ceilings that customers dont want covered in chalk.

Tried a laser once and ended up pack with the chalk line as I kept getting my big head in the way of the beam.

+ 3

By the time you have set it up you could have marked 2 or 3 with a chalk line

Side note:

Before you drill the holes get a piece of 2.5mm t+e strip out the live and bend to 90deg, poke hole through celing in centre of hole feed the 2.5 into hole and turn now you will know if there is a joist near by before you drill:innocent

+ 3 By the time you have set it up you could have marked 2 or 3 with a chalk line

Side note:

Before you drill the holes get a piece of 2.5mm t+e strip out the live and bend to 90deg, poke hole through celing in centre of hole feed the 2.5 into hole and turn now you will know if there is a joist near by before you drill:innocent
You mean to avoid this: http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8251

stuff that^. laser everytime much much quicker

as said going thru a door way etc with a line of lights point and shoot

don't get a cheaper laser tho i have the dewalt can be seen even in sun light

seriously if you wanted a line thru several rooms this takes 3-4secs

laser.jpg

fit quite a few for a bathroom fitter. holes are normally made in ceiling with a hammer. and then he drill the final holes in the new plastic ceiling later

Same as Andy uses but with the addition of a ball of string & panel pins for the ceilings that customers dont want covered in chalk.
same here

+ 3 By the time you have set it up you could have marked 2 or 3 with a chalk line

Side note:

I use a scrap piece of 16mm CPC in L shape, very useful before cutting 210mm holes for ceiling speakers, don't forget to above as well as sideways, missed a crossbeam once, never again filling a 210mm hole is time wasting

I use a laser or a chalk line just depends on the lighting arrangement or if I can use chalk on the ceiling. If your on your own then you could mark the floor ( if its unfinished) and use a laser plumb bob to mark your point on the ceiling.

Don't be scared of technology people its here to help.

I use a laser or a chalk line just depends on the lighting arrangement or if I can use chalk on the ceiling. If your on your own then you could mark the floor ( if its unfinished) and use a laser plumb bob to mark your point on the ceiling. Don't be scared of technology people its here to help.
Not scared of it just was not that useful as it kept being blocked by me.

If your on your own then you could mark the floor
I did this on a loft conversion, left nice little phase disc stickers on the boarding, ready for me to cut the holes in ceiling after it had been boarded..............all well and good but customer laminated the floor as soon as the ceiling was up the night before I turned up to 2nd fix.... bad day explode

Just aswell my helper made a plan so we had a rough idea where the tails were, very professional said the customer :innocent

For those of you that have and use a Lasrer...

... What make and model do you have?