Mistakes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetley

Reaction score
Was just thinking about a stupid mistake I made a while back and got me thinking whats the stupidest/silliest mistakes ya've made on the job?

Mine was, ran in some cable for recessed ceiling speakers and drew a plan of where the cables were and where the speakers needed to be, but never drew where the door or windows were. So after the ceiling was boarded and plastered I took a pad saw to it, and put a nice hole in the wrong place.

BIG MISTAKE:

1/ Go to large block of flats to fit shower

2/ Find middle floor flat with solid floor and ceiling

3/ Drill hole for cable for shower at ceiling level

4/ Hear loud bang

5/ See mineral cable run in plaster that you drilled through

6/ Find out its old imperial cable

7/ Keep the peace and rewire sockets in Flat free of charge.

BIG MISTAKE:1/ Go to large block of flats to fit shower

2/ Find middle floor flat with solid floor and ceiling

3/ Drill hole for cable for shower at ceiling level

4/ Hear loud bang

5/ See mineral cable run in plaster that you drilled through

6/ Find out its old imperial cable

7/ Keep the peace and rewire sockets in Flat free of charge.
Good one , Vensac, you wouldn't have done anything with imperial pyro. :|

Deke

I went to re-wire a kitchen and put 20 downlights in, went there and first fixed the kitchen, and then came back once plastered to 2nd fix and wire and fit the downlights as the owner wanted the ceiling plastering before i did any wiring above, so anyway i completes the job tested all up and put down the last few floorboards.

(the customer was one of them that watches your every move, he actually sat on a chair in the doorway all day)

I was working for a company at the time so i phoned my boss to meet me there so he could get paid, as he comes in and has a look at the job all of the downlights started drippin :eek: :O next thing the whole freshlty plastered ceiling came down, i had skrewed the floor boards down and hit 3 pipes, 2 heating and one water ha ha.

then to make it worse my boss said you better get a plumber here now, so i phoned a plumber who i knew that wass close by working on a site, so he turned up and walked straight across the customers white carpet in filthy boots:O:O.

after that day i gets home only to get another phone call off my boss saying he had left somthing open on the boiler which was in the loft and water was dripping through the ceiling upstairs... i could of died.

so that night i decided to go out for a meal to de-stress, when i got there guess who was on the table next to me!!!!yep the customer....so i got him few bottles of wine and evertything was ok.

I had to do a rewire on a house, the carpets had been lifted and it was all systems go.

At one end of the room some boards and been marked "cables", great I thought, Lift these and I am away.Circular saw out and cutting away the blade started to labour, oh dear I thought I have caught a nail. I thought damage done I will carry on, next thing I could smell the escaping gas. Lifting the board I had sliced right through the gas pipe, and no cables present.

After the plumber had fixed the pipe and left laughing his head off, I moved upstairs to lift some boards and went right through the water pipe, he was still laughing when he came back and asked if it was allright if he stayed for a while so he could save on fuel.

In the kitchen I started to chase out for the cables and totally destroyed about 3 foot of wall, not my fault this time the wall had been repaired with filler that was damp.

The owner got a shock when he saw the state of it, he laughed eventually when he saw that the wall had been bricked up with filler and not cement.

(the customer was one of them that watches your every move, he actually sat on a chair in the doorway all day) :_|

Good grief Db , what a day, wonder you didn't get parking ticket as well !!

And nothing worse than the customer sitting watching you all day !! :_|

Deke

Not me but I have had a few. My pals Dad (this guy has had a few belters by the way) decided he wanted an outside tap. Went to B&Q (*&