Mobile Phones - Which platform & why?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the controls are on the dash - c/w button to answer/hang up/scroll through phone book/activate speech recognition.

probably more dangerous if i tried to get the thing into a holder from my pocket if someone phoned

True, if I forget to take the phone out of my pocket & it rings I don't rush to put it in.

I have just always been in the habit of cradling the phone when I get in the car, as I have had a fixed "car kit" for the last 11 years!

I just find it better, it suits "me", not keen on the Parrots, and the fact that the phone charges when I travel and again when I sync with my pc means that I hardly ever charge it as such.

OK,

Nice review bud, now which Ipad, know nowt about them either!

Oh & where to get an IPad cheap?

So it is either BB Torch if that is the one with the touch screen, or, the HTC 7 Mozart, which I will immediately feel at home with.

You know what they say, if you don't ask you don't get!

Well, I've had 4 touch screen handsets now and all OK.

I always fit a screen protector.

The last one, Touch HD which I have now would be 18 months old IF I had not dropped it on a bedside cabinet in a hotel bedroom in Edinburgh in November!

Corner of the table caught the screen!

End of story!

I like the touch screen & get on well with the handwriting recognition on the Win touch screen phones.

So the touch screen bit don't bother me, & I have learned to live with it now having had them for about 5 years!

TBH Android phones can easily do anything that the iPhone can and many of the Apps are FREE!

OK so mine doesn't have a front facing camera (that's my phone though - others do), but the e-mail app that I use does allow you to have different signatures for different accounts

Unfortunately I don't use Outlook so I don't know how well it works with exchange, but I do know that it syncs seamlessly with gmail and google calendar --- TBH it should sync really well with Outlook

Galaxy S - Android 2.2 Froyo.....

Similar in spec to the Desire but is nicer aesthetically imho, with a much nicer screen

Battery life isn't great.

It mocks the iphone4 from a fairly great height imho.

The swype keyboard is a blessing and a curse... It has flashes of brilliance and and fairly easily out perform any other keyboard I've seen on a good day... but sometimes.....

guys please dont turn this into mine is better than his.

we on the android know it is better than apple,

we dont have to prove it,

just let the apple fanboy (there is only one.!.) rant on.

its all down to what is required of the phone,

myself, of course I am biased, think android has more to offer, (and free) than apple.

its a free for all out there, unless of course you are an apple or windoze customer, when it will be its a $549 upgrade, or, vista doesnt support your PC any longer please buy a bigger box.

Actually in my experience (certainly some) iPhone users /really/ seem to care...

The only thing negative I've had somebody (a fairly rabid fanboy, tbh) say... after a while of playing with my phone was...

The screen was too blue.

So I changed the colour temperature of the display (then changed it back).

I'd like to consider myself fairly unbiased, obviously I am because there is a certain amount of pride... but still....

Downsides in my opinion of Android over iOS that I've seen:

Its less finished/polished.

Buggy apps can creep on the market.

You are supposed to wait for individual OS updates for your phone which can come ages after Google's release.

Advantages of Android over iOS:

Linux based, Opensource. People make their own kernals from the current OS for their phone.

I get updates every day pretty much and you can normally see the improvements.

I can make an app for my phone easily in a free environment.

More apps.

Most of which are free.

Flash.

iPhone 4 > Galaxy S

Screen rez is higher.

Back of the Galaxy is plasticy.

Galaxy S > iPhone4

Screen is larger.

Screen has much better saturation.

Screen has much better contrast.

SD card slot.

Standard USB port.

I can hold my phone any way I like. (reception in general as well)

Swype

Thats just off the top of my head... Right that seems weighted... but thats pretty much the pros and cons list I drew up before getting the phone and the reason I brought the phone I did.

Oh that plus I don't have to sacrifice a goat to the lord Jobs every 3rd Wednesday ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

Steps,

I started this thread for everyone TO boast about what they think is good about their particular phone to try to help me make up my mind!

Don't facny an iphone.

Don't like the look on the BB's keyboard etc.

Don't know enough about Android

Know Win Mob & it works for me, but, not always and not everytime, typical M$ really!

Hence I was wondering about a change.

its horses really sidewinder,

the big thing with Android is you have a lot more choice of handset,

its a very similar set up to mac Vs windows Vs Linux

almost every app on iphone has a similar one for android and vice versa,

and instead of filling my phone with loads of manuals I email them to myself so that if I need one I can go to my email folder /manuals and select the one I need cos its stored on a server saving my phone memory(only got an 8G card in it ATM.)

I would say the X10 battery is pi** poor, and the charging system is rubbish too, little plug at the top.

good points,

decent sized screen, good wifi(Im on o2 so get free hotspots too), reasonably fast 1GHz, and 8G camera(which I dont think iphone has a camera) which is good for me to take pics and email back to the office.

oh, did I mention my battery is rubbish.? but I have a car charger so no big issue .

I'm not to well up on all this Raspberry and Peapod stuff , I have a Nokia that prompts 12yr olds to point and giggle but , hey! I can phone people up with it !!

(I'm still looking for the starting handle for our car)

I'm not to well up on all this Raspberry and Peapod stuff , I have a Nokia that prompts 12yr olds to point and giggle but , hey! I can phone people up with it !!(I'm still looking for the starting handle for our car)
You are like me Deke all I need a phone for is to make an receive calls personally I go to work to put wires in if I need to get on the computer I do it when I get home. I don't want anything to expensive I would only break it.

My problem Batty is I am more often than not out for 12hrs per day.

Also, sometimes I don't get home for a week!

I run my business from the mobile basically, so I need to have my office with me whereever I go.

Hence why I want email on the phone.

Latest posts