More Irish Tales

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
Hello All,  

Now before I start this I wish to confirm that I have never seen it, only hearing the story.  It caught me on the hop, so wanted some opinions.

A local chicken farmer is fed up with foxes taking his stock so has come up with a pretty extreme control measure. Any fences he put up in the past are tunnelled by the tenacious little critters.   He has erected a second fence 6 ft further out and run a lattice of live bare wire on insulators in the no mans land.  No I am not talking electric fence technology here but good old mains without an RCD.

Is there any circumstances where it could be deemed OK? I am thinking of chapter 41 and obstacles here. I mean if it was robustly fenced and policed with notices etc.  As I said it freaked me out, when I heard but did start me thinking.

BTW,  I hear he turns off every morning and retrieves lots of bushy tailed bodies in the morning mist.....Irish mist  :slap

So he is happy, the chickens are happy and the foxes are definitely not happy.  Me? I am sitting on the fence with my hard hat on

Hello All,  

Now before I start this I wish to confirm that I have never seen it, only hearing the story.  It caught me on the hop, so wanted some opinions.

A local chicken farmer is fed up with foxes taking his stock so has come up with a pretty extreme control measure. Any fences he put up in the past are tunnelled by the tenacious little critters.   He has erected a second fence 6 ft further out and run a lattice of live bare wire on insulators in the no mans land.  No I am not talking electric fence technology here but good old mains without an RCD.

Is there any circumstances where it could be deemed OK? I am thinking of chapter 41 and obstacles here. I mean if it was robustly fenced and policed with notices etc.  As I said it freaked me out, when I heard but did start me thinking.

BTW,  I hear he turns off every morning and retrieves lots of bushy tailed bodies in the morning mist.....Irish mist  :slap

So he is happy, the chickens are happy and the foxes are definitely not happy.  Me? I am sitting on the fence with my hard hat on
make sure you get off it before nightfall   :eek:

bad day explode

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet its not true, (the bit about using 240, since electric fences have a higher voltage) However, here is what I would guess it is based on.

luanda1_small.jpg

This is a genuine picture with an electric fence and is from South Africa

But an electric fence is a step up from a 12volt battery so barely any amperage whatsoever

You can hold onto an electric fence if you are a young stupid boy growing up in the country :|

No,

I have been assured that the wire is connected straight to the main, so if you get shocked off this, it is worse than a jag....

Hello All,

Now before I start this I wish to confirm that I have never seen it, only hearing the story. It caught me on the hop, so wanted some opinions.

A local chicken farmer is fed up with foxes taking his stock so has come up with a pretty extreme control measure. Any fences he put up in the past are tunnelled by the tenacious little critters. He has erected a second fence 6 ft further out and run a lattice of live bare wire on insulators in the no mans land. No I am not talking electric fence technology here but good old mains without an RCD.

Is there any circumstances where it could be deemed OK? I am thinking of chapter 41 and obstacles here. I mean if it was robustly fenced and policed with notices etc. As I said it freaked me out, when I heard but did start me thinking.

BTW, I hear he turns off every morning and retrieves lots of bushy tailed bodies in the morning mist.....Irish mist :slap

So he is happy, the chickens are happy and the foxes are definitely not happy. Me? I am sitting on the fence with my hard hat on
Should that be red mist? :lol:

I heard a tale once of an old tinker who never paid his electricity bill when they came to disconnect his supply he wired his door knocker to the mains the guy was seriously injured and ended up in hospital and the tinker ended up in the Crown Court.

IMO while its quite funny it could end up being quite serious.

Maybe he needs a 100ma rcd?

:|

I bet its not true, (the bit about using 240, since electric fences have a higher voltage) However, here is what I would guess it is based on.

luanda1_small.jpg

This is a genuine picture with an electric fence and is from South Africa
:eek: :O :eek:

Serious warnings needed before any pictures of snakes are posted on this forum! I'm now stuck on the sofa unable to put my feet on the floor just in case there's a snake lurking underneath ready to bite my heels! (Yes, I am extremly fobic and seriously paranoid.)

My In Laws in Australia bought a derelict run down farm, with an old wooden Queenslander house on it.

The first job before they could even begin to renovate it was to get the snakes out.

Guys, that's not helpful! My mum once told me about a pet snake that escaped and was found in the toilet in the flat below. I checked the toilet every time I went to the bathroom for years afterwards!

And here are some more snake images, just for Mrs Sweden...

WARNING: SNAKE IMAGES BELOW... VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Are you sure you still want to view them?

Really?

well here you go...

snake.jpg

snake.png

scr000118.jpg

now that wasnt too bad was it?

:slap :slap :slap

And there was me having to man up and be really brave to scroll down!

I used to be sooo good at that back in the days of the indestructable Nokias. That's the only kind of snake I like.

(Anyway, Mrs Sweden? When did we get married? :p )

Latest posts