Mounting Consumer Units

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Reaction score
Hi all,

The majority of the work I do is industrial/commercial installation. I hate domestic and have always managed to avoid it.

However, I'm changing my own CU and think I remember hearing that it ain't the done thing to mount em on a bit of back board anymore. Fire risk an all that.

The thing is, in this instance it would help me as the wall is all shapes, and a greater forward projection of the CU, would help my tails sweep in a treat.

Can anyone tell me if this is a definate no no, pls? Thanks.

Rawhide

I think people may be getting mixed up with mounting on flammable surfaces.

Modern cu's are supposed to pass a match test for the plastic to be to some degree flame proof.

I always mount my domestic boards on battons of 3x2 scant or 4x2.

This gives a good area at the rear for cables and is easily boxed in to comply with the minimum gap or finger test.

And welcome to the forum

Another one of those "myths of the trade" Rawhide , just do it , specially if it makes the job easier. And welcome to the Forum . There was a problem with putting a C/unit on the supply company's wooden backboard as they regarded it as their's for future metering equip. But I don't think even they give flying phart anymore.

Deke

I usually mount them on a bit of board of some sorts helps get the lid on as its flat. welcome to the forum Rawhide yea ha.

Batty

Thanks to all for your help. I'm just going to jolly well do it.

Should get it finished by Christmas! HeHe

The majority of the work I do is industrial/commercial installation. I hate domestic and have always managed to avoid it.
Welcome to my exclusive "despise domestic" club.

What's wrong with using lots of nonails to mount them :p .

I know someone who i used to work with once in a while and they came in bragging about mounting a new consumer unit to a wall using silicone and no screws. A few weeks later me and the electrican i trained with went to the same house to sort a fault on the lighting out, and found what he had done :eek:

OMG I was only joking but didn't think anyone would have done it.

I bet he isn't on here. How long ago was this?

Silicon is useful for sticking all kinds of things (like tiles) but its not THAT strong.

OMG I was only joking but didn't think anyone would have done it. I bet he isn't on here. How long ago was this?

Silicon is useful for sticking all kinds of things (like tiles) but its not THAT strong.
some dogy kitchen fitters use silicone alone to glue sinks under granite worktops!

I would have thought it would hold a CU. Not a lot of force on it.

damn people keep finding my work, thats kitchen fitting and cu changes out the window, time to move onto new turf, do you recommend plumbing or window fitting?

Latest posts