New board or not

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowkell

Reaction score
Hi all,

thanks in advance for taking the trouble to read this.

I looked at a job earlier - the client is selling her terraced house soon and has an old BS3036 wylex board with just three final circuits - lighting, sockets and shower (all protected by re-wireables) supplying the whole property.

She wants to keep the price down and the mess. Am I within regulation to change the semi-enclosed fuses for push in Circuit Breakers and install an external RCD between the meter and the board?

Obviously ripping the house apart to split circuits etc is something she wants to avoid.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Rowkell

Thanks Murdoch.

Good question about the bonding Blue Duck. Main protective looked OK on initial inspection.

RCBOs in a new board is the way I'll go.

Just one thought - does the regs say that I will need to split the house on to two lighting circuits and power circuits - or because the existing lighting and skts is on one circuit - is it exempt?

Thanks Murdoch.

Good question about the bonding Blue Duck. Main protective looked OK on initial inspection.

RCBOs in a new board is the way I'll go.

Just one thought - does the regs say that I will need to split the house on to two lighting circuits and power circuits - or because the existing lighting and skts is on one circuit - is it exempt?

With only 3 circuits, fitting a RCBO board WILL comply.

If in doubt call your schemes tech line.

Exempt from what exactly? There is no regulation which requires a specific number of circuits to be installed in an installation. If a new build flat only needs one lighting and one power circuit then you could install it exactly like that today.

Hi Rowkell,

I can do you a 6-module/4-way AMD3 box with 3 x Standard RCBOs for £46.00 + £7.00 postage + VAT.

It will arrive, ready to fit on the wall. If you are interested, e-mail me at  [email protected].

I have just sold my last 2 x 6-mod boxes, but I would supply a 8-mod box at the same price.

The size is  246mm w x 252mm  h x 108mm d.

I am on holiday next week, but could sort it out over the weekend.

SBS Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read this thread with interest and almost posted a reply yesterday, however refrained in the hope that someone would come to the rescue.

Hi all,

I looked at a job earlier - the client is selling her terraced house soon and has an old BS3036 wylex board with just three final circuits - lighting, sockets and shower (all protected by re-wireables) supplying the whole property.

She wants to keep the price down and the mess. Am I within regulation to change the semi-enclosed fuses for push in Circuit Breakers and install an external RCD between the meter and the board?

Obviously ripping the house apart to split circuits etc is something she wants to avoid.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Rowkell
The OP quoted above for information.

Ok so the brief is to test that the electrical installation is fit for continued use and is safe. So why not just test it? issue a certificate and be done.

Page 11 of the big yellow book has a statement by the Health and Safety executive that clearly states any installation not installed to current standards does not mean they are unsafe.

Providing no issues that would warrant a C2 classification there would be nothing wrong other than a load of C3's.

Now let us suppose that you were to carry out any works,contrary to the above statements the circuits would have to be split, and that is written into the regulations.All circuits would require RCD protection and the consumer unit would have to comply with amendment 3.

What exactly does the op mean by 'splitting the circuits'?  There is already 3 circuits. Why do they need splitting and how would this be done. 

What exactly does the op mean by 'splitting the circuits'?  There is already 3 circuits. Why do they need splitting and how would this be done. 
I am not going to quote the regs verbatim as I cannot be bothered due to an intake of alcohol, so will only rely on my experience and memory which also fails during bouts of alcohol abuse.

All circuits need to be installed so as not to cause unnecessary inconvenience in the event of failure. In the event of dual RCD units being employed this can be achieved by placing the upstairs and downstairs power and lighting on opposing RCD protection.

The circuits can be split by finding the mains power that goes into the loft space to supply the upstairs lighting and then disconnect to the last light. A new cable can then be run to join the upstairs lighting be it in the loft or under the floorboards. The exact same can be used for the socket circuits.

During the late 2000's these type of works was carried out by the Electrical Safety Council, now Electrical Safety First as part of their charity drive protecting the vulnerable from safety works they could not afford. I am proud to state that I was involved in this process.

Hi all,

I looked at a job earlier - the client is selling her terraced house soon

Ermmm.......

so just decide on a price to sell the house for......

Add £2000.00 to the asking price.....

then when potential buyers looks at the property tell them you will drop the asking price by £2000.00 due to the old electrics needing of tiding up up.

Let the new owners decide how they want the circuits split!

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator: