New CU does it have to be RCD protected?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
If your doing a straight CU swap does it have to be a RCD board if you are adding no additional circuits?

I've already put in a rcd protected board, and had problems with the rcd tripping ( sorted now ) . One of the lads said because it's an old building I opened a can of worms by introducing an rcd. He said because I'm not adding new circuits I could of installed a board with no rcd.

You could get away with no rcd in a pub, depending on several other things being in place.

You would have to ensure that these were so and be able to justify this to not fit the rcd.

i dont understand why people dont like RCD's there a life saver! RCD the lot i say!!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:55 ----------

and if it trips, there is a problem/fault and should be fixed! rather it trip that burn the place down or even worse kill someone

sparkattack,

An rcd tripping could also kill someone.

They are also one of the most unreliable protective devices available on the market.

They are also not a substitute for poor fundemental design.

i dont understand why people dont like RCD's there a life saver! RCD the lot i say!!---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:55 ----------

and if it trips, there is a problem/fault and should be fixed! rather it trip that burn the place down or even worse kill someone
I would agree and disagree to a certain extent. Problem is when I did my training which was to 16th edition we were told not to RCD protect immersions and cookers due to the fact even when they are healthy you get current going down to earth that is the way they are built. Now all of a sudden due to us getting in line with europe we have to RCD protect everything in domestic due to the fact some fool could nail a cable. But if a circuit is designed correctly the circuit breaker etc should trip in a very short time so really should not be a danger. Now you have people putting in so called 17th edition boards with two RCD's and any leakage of the system has to go through those two RCD's which for cookers and immersions can cause problems with nusaince tripping. Personally I only use RCBO boards so do not get many call backs. It all right you saying put any faults right but in the real world an electrical installation which may be over 40 years old will have leakage and possibly leaky appliances. I have always thought having sockets on an RCD is a good idea due to the fact idiots do silly things when taking electric outside but really cannot see the need for fixed appliances and lighting to be RCD protected but we don't wright the regs so I have to go along with it.

Batty,

Not sure about the harmonisation thing as far as rcd's go.

Never remember seeing one in Germany when I worked there.

You'd have to check the EN std. for EU wiring.

I await to be corrected in fact.

Cookers, immersions, storage heaters etc having 'natural' leakage to earth is an urban myth. An extremely prevelent one, but a myth nontheless.

They are a comon source of RCD tripping toward the end of their useful life though as the internal insulation layers start to break down as a result of the years of thermal stress.

BTW: I asked this question of Dimplex Tech Help after hearing it several times, they said 'no'

I think I must live in a different world to other sparks. I have had to change a few few oven elements some only 5 years old due to insulation breakdown causing 17th edition board RCD's to trip out not sure why an element at only 5 years old should be at its end of its life but perhaps thats how long they are meant to last. I would suggest the next time you fit a new cooker do an insulatin test l/n to earth see what reading you get you will be suprised.

Batts:

I do check on an oven/ cooker change (doesn`t everyone?) ; and TBH I`ve never seen a significant leakage - I`d request the item be sent back as faulty if I had.

"prevalent urban myth" - I like that ;)

Its ruddy nonsense guys & gals - generic domestic equipment does NOT have leakage currents "designed in". FACT

O/P: If it is required under any of the 7671 regs, or you can provide a damn good reason why not, then YES. QED

KME

I think I must live in a different world to other sparks. I have had to change a few few oven elements some only 5 years old due to insulation breakdown causing 17th edition board RCD's to trip out not sure why an element at only 5 years old should be at its end of its life but perhaps thats how long they are meant to last. I would suggest the next time you fit a new cooker do an insulatin test l/n to earth see what reading you get you will be suprised.
You have contradicted yourself here. In this case the RCD tripped due to the elements insulation breaking down after 5 years, not due to their design of current going down to earth. The problem is cheap Chinese cr4p, not RCD's

Edit, It is known though, that electric oven elements can be hygroscopic, but are fine after the first heat up. I was told to connect to a non rcd supply for half an hour if problematic

I was only aware that old fridges were the only issues for RCDs.

Surely the tripping should mean "you should consider getting a new appliance"

I have read the post, still find it hard to see how you can drill through 1/3 of it, unless your really unlucky and hit the back panel :)