NICEIC assment ,... do i need the new big green book ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny7299

Reaction score
Hi All ,

Long time no see.... got my ass on wed just wondering if they are going to be expecting me to have the current green book?

Any one know?

Cheers

:yawn

How can you operate as a NICEIC enrolled electrician without the current regulations ?
Because the NICEIC don`t require you to have them - merely to demonstrate competence.

Mind you, the FACT that people can get through an assessment and know nothing about circuit protection or have any test equipment makes we wonder about the whole assessment procedure .....

Well Prof,

I don't doubt your 2nd point, however to get through as an NICEIC AC I had to have a copy of the regs and several other documents for them to be seen at my assessment, and they were checked and they are physically checked every year.

How any scheme operator can allow anyone to join a scheme without a copy of the regs is beyond my understanding.

As has been said many times these days it's all about the money, nothing to do with safety or competence it seems.

Because the NICEIC don`t require you to have them - merely to demonstrate competence.
? Dubious guidance to say the least! I believe their guidance on assessment specifically states that you do need a copy of current regs.

Doc H.

the only book I got away without showing once was the EAWR,

it had been taken to site, rang the guy concerned up and the assessor asked him what page was regxx on, correct, what does regxx refer to? correct,

OK, so you have a copy of EAWR, I'll tick the box, Ive seen it last year, and I will be expecting to ACTUALLY see it again next year.

close call, but as for the regs, PI etc, they WILL want to hold them in their grubby little mitts IMHO, I just got lucky that time.

Because the NICEIC don`t require you to have them - merely to demonstrate competence.Mind you, the FACT that people can get through an assessment and know nothing about circuit protection or have any test equipment makes we wonder about the whole assessment procedure .....
All of that is 100% wrong. Publications for what ever your registered to do are checked every year. IE we also registered to carry out fire alarm and emergency lighting installation & testing, so those BS have to be shown as well as the current BS7671. I could not find something one year and the only way we could carry on the assignment was for me to order a new copy infront of the assesor

You have to physically show your test equipment and have enough for the amount of people working. You also have to show records of calibration, either self done or professionally. Through the assessment you are asked various questions such as tables in the regs book and circuit protection.

There are assessed persons out there that upon questioning cannot use their own test equipment, cannot interpret test results, cannot fill in certificates or install anything - FACT.

The Schemes are desperate to deem people competent without them having to be able to actually DO the job and are prepared to ignore their own guidelines at the drop of a hat in the search for increased membership.

I can testify to that point ^^^

The guy in question has been to see me and asked if he can come with me on a few testing jobs to show him the ropes, :( I said showing him is one thing but he has to be able to understand what the readings are telling him but tbh I'm giving the guy a wide berth

From what I saw at his assessment he had no Bgb or even a tatty brb no osg no gn3 no eawr nothing.... But he had liability ins! Which could be useful he had no work to show no jobs to test no tester but he got through because he had a cheque for

There are assessed persons out there that upon questioning cannot use their own test equipment, cannot interpret test results, cannot fill in certificates or install anything - FACT.The Schemes are desperate to deem people competent without them having to be able to actually DO the job and are prepared to ignore their own guidelines at the drop of a hat in the search for increased membership.
All areas of work in every trade and industry have their workers who are below standard, as such I am confident there must be some assessors who are below standard just as there are tradesmen who have lower standards. My question would be, have you passed your facts onto the relevant approved bodies in the form of a complaint about an assessors competence? Or is this just moaning on forums and do nothing? If I had factual evidence that you state that you have I know I would be writing to them.

Doc H.

If you are Defined Scope their is no requirement to have BS7671 acording to the EAS requirements, strange when some organisations allow then to do a board change.