NICEIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the "Good old Days" before Part Bleedin' Pee was inflicted upon us , the only trade consumer protection scheme was NICEIC . We were once members a million years ago.

My question is to NIC members, if you were already a member and been assessed etc. how come a further assesment and fee was required for Part P Domestic when you were already deemed to be competent. ?

Or did it not work like that ?

It didn`t work like that, mate.

an A/C is automatically elegible to register for DI status (makes sense, as an AC is a much more rigorous assessment), which gives access to their notification site.

DI = half arsed mickey mouse option.

AC = professional option.

AC trumps DI.

DI = half arsed mickey mouse option.AC = professional option.

AC trumps DI.
+1

Im changing from a DI to an AC this month. Inspector came out for a pre assesment, and it does all seem much more thorough. Spent a fortune on bleedin books.

GS

DI = half arsed mickey mouse option.AC = professional option.

AC trumps DI.
bad day explode :C

For some just being DI suits the line of work undertaken.

I for one do not feel like a mickey mouse outfit:slap

IF you dont want the DI "tag" then change schemes.

The NIC certainly know how to charge for no reason.

M107 - Lurch did say "option", not "outfit" mate;

I don`t think he was getting at those who have registered as DI per se, more at the system which begat the DI (AKA competent person scheme).....when it is patently obvious that many who are members aren`t competent.

Not all, bud - but many.

the NICEIC rate according to your ability,unlike a lot of scams that just bunch everyone into one fits all.
I would beg to differ.

I can think of a number of posters on here who do mainly domestic work and are mere DI's who seem to have very high standards of work and a greater knowledge than most. Spec Loc?

I would beg to differ.I can think of a number of posters on here who do mainly domestic work and are mere DI's who seem to have very high standards of work and a greater knowledge than most. Spec Loc?
yes apache, agreed,

but what about the 3ph guys.?

that is what the NIC AC is about,

permitting you to work on more than domestic ,

other schemes allow this with no further checks AFAIAA,

please correct me on this.

`pache.

I think albert was actually "sort of" approving the fact that NIC do at least split their members into 2 distinct groups of technical abilities.

There are those here who are DI through choice, but could pass AC assessment tomorrow (SL for instance) ; but don`t need it.

Other scammers don`t make the same distinction.......

yes apache, agreed,but what about the 3ph guys.?

Steps, please correct me if I am wrong but the other schemes are purely about compliance with part P work that is notifiable. Industrial and commercial work doesn't fall under Part P and therefore is not part of the other self certification schemes.

Doesn't mean ELECSA neither endorse or not their members doing commercial work. That was not [as far as I understood] what they were all about.

Or have I missed the bigger picture?

Only insofar as the "bigger picture"; i.e. anything that isn`t part "P" notifiable, can be done by you, your missus, the guy in the boozer, me, the owner of the dog with the sad eyes you had to put down yesterday, a 10 year old..........etc.

Because there is nothing in LAW that says you can`t - until summat goes wrong.

The only problem for "have-a-go" farmer giles is that his buildings & contents insurer / mortgage company, will, more than likely, ask for an NICEIC cert (red one.). It`s outside aDI`s scope......so my competition for that job is a fraction of what otherwise would have been......

With me?

this is one of the main reasons that lots of companys get knocked for stating NIC only and then we get people crying that why wont they accept elecsa/napit etc.

NIC have the distinction between the differences.

yes apache, agreed,but what about the 3ph guys.?

er, not quite steps

elecsa are domestic only. . it has no relevence to commerial, so they cannot stop you doing commercial (obviously, you wont be able to use their certs or logo on paperwork for commercial).

its for this reason why i dont have their logo or name on anything other than my van. (but i do have 'part p registered' on quotes etc)

im not 'registered' with anyone to do commercial work, and if it wasnt for part p, i wouldnt be registered with elecsa either

All the schemes have pros and cons.

I prefer NAPIT as it's members that are certified - not the whole firm and members have to commit to being 2391 qualified within the year.

ELECSA are friendly, cheaper and aimed at the domestic market.

NICEIC are better known.

The only job I've lost by being NAPIT is from B and Q who insist that their kitchen fitters employ NICEIC electricians - which is ironic as all B and Q employed electricians are NAPIT!

However an NICEIC AC company can employ a trained monkey and do a poor job. A large firm can cherry pick jobs for assessment - the rest may be done by an assortment of muppets and totally inadequate.

NICEIC (or any other) accreditation is no guarantee of a good job.

i am just registering as a di but work for a large electrical company who are nic i am a subby and can assure you that most sparkys there on the books i would not let wire up a plug but as they work for an approved contractor are autherised to do anything ........scary !

Latest posts