No Part P Certificate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No1

Reaction score
Customer has had as new consumer unit (plastic) fitted just before Christmas by a previous electrician. They haven't been given an installation certificate and it hasn't been notified (electrician not registered with anyone).

Do I just need to do an EICR, rectify any code 1 (note consumer unit doesn't comply with current regs), and then notify it through my scheme?

Thanks.

Sorry didn't make myself clear, I meant rectify any code 1 and just code the consumer unit as doesn't comply with current regs.

Sorry didn't make myself clear, I meant rectify any code 1 and just code the consumer unit as doesn't comply with current regs.

Because a installation which was installed to a previous version of the regs and not to the current version does not mean that you have to code everything as a code 1

I am not sure an EICR would be suitable. You may have to carry out some intrusive surveys and sign it off yourself as an EIC. 

stroma allows you to do third party certification, perhaps that is what the OP means. Don't know how that works though, never certified someone else's work.

If the owner needs a BC notification, get in touch with BC and ask them what would be required. Some BCs just need an EICR by a Part P registered contractor, apparently.

I have done eicr for local authority when previous sparks have melted into the ether !!. I just ask them if they are prepared to accept one!!!. I usually would put installed to a previous version of 7671 if non compliant with recent new regs. Inherit nothing if your smart . 

Is the customer asking you for an EICR to cover the new board  or are you carrying out an EICR on the whole install or what ? 

Remember that plastic consumers were wonderful for the last 60 odd years  until Jan 2016  when they were deemed to be fire risks .

No one quite knows if it is due to a new breed of Sparky who is incapable of tightening a terminal up properly .....or whether the components  are now inferior ....or the plastic has changed . :C

Are they renting the property as if so, they  would just be looking for satisfactory on the eicr report,  if it's gotta have an eic then I would do a full in depth eicr rectify any codes make a note on there that consumer unit fitted by third party now non contactable, then also issue an eic along with the eicr, Just check with your scheme member first if you are allowed to backdate the install date, plus your covered for third party unless you do it as your own work,

IMHO wouldn't of thought you could date an eic now with an insulated board fitted, surely  gotta be backdated to comply correct, 

Because a installation which was installed to a previous version of the regs and not to the current version does not mean that you have to code everything as a code 1

I know, I never said you did.

why would you want to notify it through your scam and take responsibility for the work of someone else?

In the past when I have been asked to do them I have always refused, however, this was an elderly couple who have been stung for £700 so I wanted to help them out of I could.

stroma allows you to do third party certification, perhaps that is what the OP means. Don't know how that works though, never certified someone else's work.

If the owner needs a BC notification, get in touch with BC and ask them what would be required. Some BCs just need an EICR by a Part P registered contractor, apparently.

Yes that's what I meant, third party certification. I just wasn't sure if I would need to change the consumer unit for metal or not to cover my own back.

I have fitted a new metal consumer unit today and have supplied an installation certificate and notified the work so all is good.

Thank you those who have posted sensible replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fitted a new metal consumer unit today and have supplied an installation certificate and notified the work so all is good.

Thank you those who have posted sensible replies.
That's a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution.

So they were stung by an unregistered electrician who charged for a new consumer unit last year, and now the "solution" is to charge them to replace a probably perfectly good 3 month old consumer unit with another new one?  :C

Latest posts