Non-Notifiable work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Retired 68 year old newcomer, 8202 L2 & 3, and18 edition - I want to do non-Notifiable work in and around Tyneside. I have some ideas as to what this entails ( I’ve read Part P) but in the real world it may be vastly different.
If anyone just does this type of work and are willing to share their knowledge/experience of gaining and pricing these types of jobs I would be grateful for any input you can offer. I only wish to work part time so can’t imagine I would be standing on anyone’s toes. Thanks

Welcome to the forum...

DIY electrical work is legally permitted in England so you can do all minor works alterations, without any issues...

However new circuits & consumer units are within the scope of Part-P.. BUT.. it's also worth noting that not all LABC's operate in the same way...

Some LABC's are happy to accept an EIC from a qualified person who is not a member of any of the recognised scheme's (NICEIC/NAPIT/ etc..), for notifiable work, if you did want to cover a wider base..?

This is a valid option within the Part-P approved document guidance bullet point 3.10...
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a802da7ed915d74e622ceed/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

It could be worthwhile contacting your LABC, with copies of your qualifications, to ask if they are happy for you to issue them copies of your Electrical Installation Certificates for Part-P notifiable work.. As it may give you a wider potential customer base..?

But don't forget if you are doing paid work for customers then HMRC also need to be informed about your new income status.. And you probably need to ensure you have appropriate insurance..

Pricing of any work is just based around how much money you need to earn to cover your overheads with a bit of profit... Nothing at all to do with what anybody else may or may not charge for similar work!

pdf

It could be worthwhile contacting your LABC, with copies of your qualifications, to ask if they are happy for you to issue them copies of your Electrical Installation Certificates for Part-P notifiable work.. As it may give you a wider potential customer base..?
That’s an interesting take- I’ll have look. Cheers

So in no particular order

PL insurance
Business insurance on your vehicle
Calibrated tester
Up to date regs books
Certificate software
Notify HMRC
Business account

Stock of common parts

Good luck

Efficiency?

I remember the pain of writing them out by hand
for the odd one off, not really much of an issue. he's semi ertired. few extra minutes writing out a cert isn't going to be problematic without paying for software. or just make your own forms in excel. no being held hostage to access your previous certs if you go to a different software or don't want to keep paying for software licences

for the odd one off, not really much of an issue. he's semi ertired. few extra minutes writing out a cert isn't going to be problematic without paying for software. or just make your own forms in excel. no being held hostage to access your previous certs if you go to a different software or don't want to keep paying for software licences

Each to their own

I’ve used a certificate package for a very long time now. Not tied to a carp CPS system either

Some LABC's are happy to accept an EIC from a qualified person who is not a member of any of the recognised scheme's (NICEIC/NAPIT/ etc..), for notifiable work, if you did want to cover a wider base..?
My LABC wants £500 with the prior application to do notifiable work so I stick to non- notifiable at the moment.

My LABC wants £500 with the prior application to do notifiable work so I stick to non- notifiable at the moment.

And that is another problem of the whole Part-P fiasco... each LABC can decide on what their fees are!!
Should just be a standard cost for everyone.. As currently its just another pile of :poop: or a post code lottery!

I'm with Andy on this. Fill one out by hand and give to the customer, job done and complete.

Anything else means going home, entering it into your computer (from your hand written notes) and printing it or emailing it to the customer. I do that for big jobs that need a EIC especially if it is one that building control will want, i.e. where youmust have multiple copies.

No I WON'T entertain trying to use some software on a phone, I absolutely abide trying to pretend a phone with a silly little on screen keyboard is a serious computer.

There's a good market in maintenance jobs for oaps. Replacing broken sockets, light switches etc, which busy, younger trades don't want to do.

So in no particular order

PL insurance
Business insurance on your vehicle
Calibrated tester
Up to date regs books
Certificate software
Notify HMRC
Business account

Stock of common parts
Thanks Binky - this is exactly my strategy. I certainly won’t step on any sparks toes to fulfil my aims, and won’t take anyone’s eyes out either
Cheers Murdoch - I have pretty much all this in place. Just waiting for my 1st job, just need to work out pricing.
Great replies everyone thank you

Just waiting for my 1st job, just need to work out pricing.
Great replies everyone thank you

Have you had a go at calculating your fixed and variable over heads ?

And what the competition charge?

And don't forget to save for your tax and NI too. I've always done this monthly using my premium bond account

Hi Murdoch - I’m in the very, very fortunate position of doing this as a very small business opportunity, rather than a “Job”. I’m retired and have an income, I just want to do it as I really like it. I’ve been office based most of my working life and this allows me to put my learning into practice, but I’m going to do it properly. I’ll do the smaller jobs that most sparks will turn down. I’m sure there is a space for me in the market. -
'

Hi Murdoch - I’m in the very, very fortunate position of doing this as a very small business opportunity, rather than a “Job”. I’m retired and have an income, I just want to do it as I really like it. I’ve been office based most of my working life and this allows me to put my learning into practice, but I’m going to do it properly. I’ll do the smaller jobs that most sparks will turn down. I’m sure there is a space for me in the market. -
'

That’s all well and good but how will you know if it’s worth while?

I agree, I’ll create the business, register to HMRC create a spreadsheet with costs, income and overheads. I’ve done a fag packet calc and £30-£40/hour would be fine. Although charging by the job may be better - your view on that would be useful. My main metric is am I enjoying it whilst making a reasonable return.

Beware of MTD heading your way too
At the level the OP is intending to operate that won't trouble him.

DEFINIELY stay below the turnover threshold for VAT registration, you don't want that complication (which will force MTD on you)

I do my accounts on a cash basis, which basically means you record income and expenditure when it happens. So a very simple money in, money out accounting system. Just keep records yourself and no need for an accountant.

An advantage as a small trader not registered for VAT is of course no VAT on your labour which gives you a 20% advantage over larger companies.

An advantage as a small trader not registered for VAT is of course no VAT on your labour which gives you a 20% advantage over larger companies.

no it doesn't. you've paid VAT on materials, fuel etc so customer is paying VAT, just indirectly. VAT registered will be more, but not 20% more

Latest posts