Non-Notifiable work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All food for thought - my initial step is to get a foothold, and hopefully word of mouth from doing a good job. I’m going to do a leaflet drop on some new housing around where I live. Most new builds have crap pendants, no outside sockets, garages generally only have 1 no loft light etc. I’ll see what return I get from that.

All food for thought - my initial step is to get a foothold, and hopefully word of mouth from doing a good job. I’m going to do a leaflet drop on some new housing around where I live. Most new builds have crap pendants, no outside sockets, garages generally only have 1 no loft light etc. I’ll see what return I get from that.
It can be an idea to leaflet drop an area you have just worked in IE stick leaflets through the neighbours doors.

As well as leaflets.. do you have any children / grandchildren involved at any local schools..?
(pupils / governors etc.. )

When I went self employed, (Feb 1999), I had children in both primary and secondary schools..
Plus, my wife has been a chair of the Governors at one school, which flagged up various school advert options to me.

They typically have summer/Christmas fetes, with stalls and a program that have space for local tradespersons to advertising with and all funds raised going to the school PTA..
(Plus... Often the fete program had a prize quiz with questions about all of the local trades who had advertised)..

So it can be quite useful to get your name know around the local school catchment area.?
{I think the costs back in late 1990's early 2000's were a nominal £20 or £30 max for a fete program and/or stall advert!!)

Which is basically targeted at local mons & dads who may need some electrical work done!
And the more local work you can get, the more profitable you can become, especially if multiple site visits are needed.

Three visits to a job <5miles away is generally better than one visit to a job 20+ miles away..
Over the years I have travelled further, But the majority of my work is now within a 5 mile radius of home..

Last edited:
As well as leaflets.. do you have any children / grandchildren involved at any local schools..?
(pupils / governors etc.. )

When I went self employed, (Feb 1999), I had children in both primary and secondary schools..
Plus, my wife has been a chair of the Governors at one school, which flagged up various school advert options to me.

They typically have summer/Christmas fetes, with stalls and a program that have space for local tradespersons to advertising with and all funds raised going to the school PTA..
(Plus... Often the fete program had a prize quiz with questions about all of the local trades who had advertised)..

So it can be quite useful to get your name know around the local school catchment area.?
{I think the costs back in late 1990's early 2000's were a nominal £20 or £30 max for a fete program and/or stall advert!!)

Which is basically targeted at local mons & dads who may need some electrical work done!
And the more local work you can get, the more profitable you can become, especially if multiple site visits are needed.

Three visits to a job <5miles away is generally better than one visit to a job 20+ miles away..
Over the years I have travelled further, But the majority of my work is now within a 5 mile radius of home..
Nice one - it’s that time of year. I’ll have a look at that. Cheers