None Selv fan in zone 1 c2 or c1

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleycowx

Reaction score
Hi all,

Did a eicr today and found a mains extract fan in zone 1 also with no 3 pole isolator.

I was going to put under a c1 as its pretty much next to the shower head but then c2 maybe applicable.

Just wondering what you guys would put.

Thanks in advance

Ashley

Are there any manufacturers instructions for the extractor fan with regards to zone suitability? You may have to search the web to find some

Are there any manufacturers instructions for the extractor fan with regards to zone suitability? You may have to search the web to find some
No; all you need is the Part 'P' guide; minimum

IP rating is IPX4, as is all current using equipment

within these zones.

The manufacturer has to produce to this specification.

Code C1 is applicable if the user is in immediate danger.

Why would it be a three pole isolator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,Did a eicr today and found a mains extract fan in zone 1 also with no 3 pole isolator.

I was going to put under a c1 as its pretty much next to the shower head but then c2 maybe applicable.

Just wondering what you guys would put.

Thanks in advance

Ashley
are you sure your competent to be carrying out EICR's?

all you had to do to find out was have a quick read through the bathroom section of 7671 to find your answer

I think the point that Andy was trying to get across is that as a competent person carrying out EICR's, then the bs7671 should be at hand for reference if you are unsure of specific regs. Whilst not many people can remember all the regs, there are ones that are more regularly used than others, bathrooms being one of them??

Harsh.........the guy may not be as good as yourself but no need to be like that, thought this was supposed to be a community where we help each other to improve, maybe all you needed to say was read special locations in 7671 and you will find the answer you are looking for.
the question is very basic and is not the type of question that someone competent and EICR's would be asking. and the answer can very easily be found in 7671. surprisingly, its in the bathroom section.

next he will be saying he couldnt look in the BGB because he doesnt have one...

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:46 ----------

I think the point that Andy was trying to get across is that as a competent person carrying out EICR's, then the bs7671 should be at hand for reference if you are unsure of specific regs. Whilst not many people can remember all the regs, there are ones that are more regularly used than others, bathrooms being one of them??
exactly, no-one can remember every reg (and if they say they can, they are lying). but you shouldnt need to lookup the basics either.

Researching regs for yourself and tends to be a very good idea for anyone doing inspections. 1/ because you need to know how to read Regs book, 2/ because you stumble across all sorts of other info whilst paging back and forth.

Whose to say this isn't one of his first EICR's?
in which case, by the definition of competent in 7671, he isnt competent

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:30 ----------

How many years did it take you to become conversant with the regs and EICR's?
4 years apprenticeship (and even that doesnt cover everything, but it at least covers the basics & most other stuff). which is probably a lot more than some 'electricians' on here.

And throughout your apprenticeship did you ever conduct an EICR? if so was it supervised or unsupervised? And the first time you did one from start to finish without anyone there to guide you, you're trying to tell me you had not a single question or doubt in your mind that didn't rely on you asking a simple question or reading your book? I'm trying to make the point that the guy asked a question and your first response was are you competent to do this (not here's a hint now go and research, just straight away are you competent). I'm sure you would have loved it if someone more experienced than you came along and as soon as you asked 1 question however basic the answer maybe you got are you competent.
done many PIR's working with someone else, then on my own supervised by someone else. not straight into it with no knowledge or experience, or no idea where to look for basic info

and if you really need a hint as to where in the regs to look for something bathroom related, then maybe you should go back to an office job

If it was someone installing,they could look in the on site guide and then post if they are unsure

If you are doing eicr then morally you should have an above average knowledge of installations

I don't want to be harsh,because nobody is perfect but the post was correct to criticise in this instance

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets look at it a different way. Lets take driving for instance, it can be dangerous to you and to others same as electrical works. You learn to drive (some quicker than others i might add), your instructor determines you're ready for your test. You pass your test, you're now legally allowed to get into a car and drive by yourself. Now based on what Andy was saying unless the guy is 100% confident he knows everything about driving then he shouldn't get into the car and should never drive again and take the bus. Now who can say that this is true for them.

Competency is determined by your peers or an appropriatley qualified person. Now his mentors seem to think he was competent enough to pass his test and did so which is why he able to conduct EICR's. Until that rule changes i'm sorry to say Andy that unless you have mentored this person or you were the examiner i'd keep your opinions about someones competency to yourself.

Plus the next time you attempt any work you're unsure about even though lets say you have passed exms to say you're competent i'd suggest not asking a question on here unless you want to be referred back to this post and made to feel small.

Just because someone knows every single reg in the book, that don't make them a good Electrician either, I've see work done by those that know it all yet the standard of work is cr*p, it's about a mixture of both.

There was a thread on here a while back where a member said another member with a very high amount of posts, advising other members on what's right and wrong actually did a job for him, lost him money and the contract, however he never owned up, I wonder why.

OK all,

Just looking at the replies lets give you some information about myself...

Firstly - Did I have my regs book, on site guide or little 7671 book in the van NO, because I was researching some stuff out of them a few nights previous.

Second - I posted this on my phone for a quick double check, I knew the answer to the question but other peoples perspective never hurts! (after all thats what the forums are for are they not???)

Third - competency, am I competent... If I wasn't "competent" then my company wouldn't be sending me to do EICR's, I have 3 years experience doing EICR's (5 years in the electrical trade) and nearly 4 years at college (2330, 2382, 2391!!! etc etc) but then thats nothing to some people who have been in the trade for 30+ years, but we have to start somewhere don't we????

Anyways, I hope to use to the forum again to gain invaluble information for the future, maybe i'll stick to reading rather than posting.

Oh and customer went ahead and had a SELV fan fitted anyways so thats that!

Thanks for all the response, im going for a beer.

Cheers V Much

Ashley ("Competent"??? - Who defines this, the veteran 30+ years spark, an assessor, MR NICEIC/NAPIT blah blah, GOD [Please let me know])

Hey,

Just to add,

Just to confirm yes I have copies of bs7671, on site guide.

Can I read the regs book, yes, but to just reiterate, I didn't have it in the van, yes this is wrong and a mistake on my behalf.

I know your going to slate me for my currently served time as an electrician but the old saying we are always learning however old we are, and I'm not working for myself so there's always someone above me...

But thanks for the support for those of you who answered my like people should on a forum..

Cheers all

Ash

Just curious about why it should not be a 3-pole isolator? ?:|

I don't mind asking because I don't do EICRs since I don't have enough experience & therefore not competent enough.

I reckon if I told elecsa (or any other scam provider) that I was competent, read up a bit & paid the additional fee elecsa would be happy to have me doing them.

Self-policing this question of competency, must be loads of sparks knowingly working out of their depth.

I can understand why when times are tough financially but I wouldn't cause I like to (mostly) sleep at night.

I do think that experience counts for way more than being bang up to date with the ever-changing regs.

So go on then, what did I miss about the isolator? :pray