Oceangate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is all very sad, BUT, i have to question the intelligence of the idiots in the thing. Not being funny, but who but an idiot would get in a thing that is bolted shut from the outside, AND, is controlled by means of a kids game controller.. What did they use for comunication with the surface? Two cups on string?

What ever these millionaires made their money at, it could not have been engineering or common sense..

Darwinism at its best.

john..

I kept one! This is from Offshore Nile Delta sometime in the 2000's (Sedco Express I think) It was an Oceaneering ROV that sent a bunch of them down in a small cargo net - only 715m water depth but already less that half size.
Might have been you, John?:)
Nope it wasnt me but that is the exact party trick we did.

I have wondered why anyone would go down in that small sub. I do think they may have had to sign some very legal release of liability papers to be able to go on down in that device.

The only positive thing appears to be that the individuals involved didn't suffer a slow death as oxygen levels depleted...

Irrespective of how ill-judged the safety aspects of this voyage may have been...
They have left relatives who most probably will never have a body to bury, cremate or say goodbye to in the way appropriate to their personal beliefs/religion.

Thoughts and condolences to the family and friends mourning at this time... ☹️

Lets hope that following this event, some improved rules and regulations can be enforced to prevent a repeat occurance.

Terrible news.

It's fair to say they have done 40 odd trips, so given the nature of what they were doing, that's quite an epic achievement. As much as I think it's a daft project, it's no different really to climbing Everest, or swimming the English Channel. It's such bravery that has dragged forward the progress of mankind so many times. That is of course no conciliation to their families, who have my deepest sympathies.

The only positive thing appears to be that the individuals involved didn't suffer a slow death as oxygen levels depleted...
best outcome really. dead before they knew there was a problem

here's what an implosion looks like with a max pressure difference of 1 bar. they would hav been at around 350 bar depending on depth when it happened

steel also deforms and crumples like the video. they used carbon fibre which would have shattered instead. id say there's nothing left of anything that was inside and they won't be bringing any bodies back...

As a race we strive to push boundaries and seek a thrill from adventure. Without people like this in the past we wouldn't have left our caves.

A sad event but hopefully like the original Titanic disaster a learning event.

My thoughts and condolences go out to the families and friends of those involved.

May they rest in peace.

As a race we strive to push boundaries and seek a thrill from adventure. Without people like this in the past we wouldn't have left our caves.

yes, and innovation / new ideas are a good thing, however in this case the failure of the carbon fibre was pretty much expected. strong under tension, not so much compression. and unlike steel, any fatigue would be almost impossible to detect

It's the news reporters "are you going to recover the bodies"?

I very much doubt at that depth there will be anything left recognisable as a body left to recover.

Sad state of of affairs over all.
However, my old man told me that when he was a flight eng in bombers during WWII they were put in a chamber and oxygen was reduced to let then see what would happen.
They had no pain and passed out peaceably.
I have to admit I wouldn't want to wait 8 days for that - I'd go scatty in the meantime. Implosion is a much better way to go.
Questions asked why would they do it? I rode a sports bike past my limit a few times and still went back for more.
Adrenaline rules!

The five departed souls of the Titan submersible suffered two tragedies. First, the tragedy of dying in a catastrophic implosion deep in the North Atlantic. Then the tragedy of posthumous ridicule. There seems to be a stark and bleak lack of sympathy for the men who perished. Instead a moralistic mob has found them guilty in death of the worst sin of our times: hubris.

and oxygen was reduced to let then see what would happen.
They had no pain and passed out peaceably.
hypoxia. has crashed a few planes before where everyone passed out due to lack of oxygen

your body can detect too much co2 and that's where you get the suffocating feeling. your body cant detect lack of oxygen though so you don't know there isn't enough, then you pass out

The five departed souls of the Titan submersible suffered two tragedies. First, the tragedy of dying in a catastrophic implosion deep in the North Atlantic. Then the tragedy of posthumous ridicule. There seems to be a stark and bleak lack of sympathy for the men who perished. Instead a moralistic mob has found them guilty in death of the worst sin of our times: hubris.

i think the main issue is that it was basicaly a DIY sub, using materials that are known to not work for the use on the sub, and generaly don't give a shit about safety and just winging each dive and hoping for the best, which in this case, the known major flaws of either the carbon fibre, or the window that wasn't rated for the depth, proved a bad idea. darwin award for them imo

had it been a much more designed & fully tested sub, with proper approval and a genuine accident that wasn't expected, then the media / public opinion would most likely be very different

Sadly these days news is often sensationalised to get clicks

i think the main issue is that it was basicaly a DIY sub, using materials that are known to not work for the use on the sub, and generaly don't give a shit about safety and just winging each dive and hoping for the best, which in this case, the known major flaws of either the carbon fibre, or the window that wasn't rated for the depth, proved a bad idea. darwin award for them imo

had it been a much more designed & fully tested sub, with proper approval and a genuine accident that wasn't expected, then the media / public opinion would most likely be very different
At that depth, if the design wasn't good, it wouldn't have survived one trip, never mind 40.

Latest posts