Only have continuity on line conductors if neutrels are connected

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick1986

Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering if anyone could help me I just done the 2391 and passed I'm currently been working in a large house when carrying out end to end resistance on the ring circuit I have an open circuit on the line and neutrel conductors but if I connect the neutrels together and do end to end on the line conductor I get continuity and same if I connect both line I get continuity but if disconnected I lose continuity. I would be really greatfull for advise as I'm new to testing so go easy on me thanks guys

It might be advisable to do a long lead test on the line

conductor, testing from each end of it at the CCU to see

where you are losing it around the ring. At the point at

which it becomes suspect, go behind the socket for a visual

check. Leave the other conductors out of their respective

terminations.

As you take your reads with a long lead set to 1 ohm check

them to ensure that they are increasing.

Repeat the procedure for the neutral.

It might pay to have a quick look behind all sockets to check

for the presence of unfused spurs as you go around.

The use of the long lead also confirms which sockets are in that

ring circuit.

You must have credible results at this stage before you proceed

to the closed loop tests.

I know it looks like a long procedure, but the long lead is as

much a fault finding procedure as it is a test.

Reading Samson's post, crossed polarity is the most likely cause

but you have to locate it.

Does the property have more than one socket final circuit?

Sounds like L & N on the ring swapped/interconnected somewhere, possibly in a socket . But it would have had to have been done at least twice if you have the correct colours at the board.

Is this a new job or an inspection ?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:30 ----------

Your not mistakingly doing the figure 8, R1 & R2 test on the L & N are you ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be just at one socket or jb,wired incorrectly? L&N in L - L&N - in N. Hence when neutral is joined, continuity on line, same as line joined, continuity on neutral.

Sorry lads. Gave my mate my new iPhone to have a look through, and have a look at this site to see what he thinks, can't believe he put that :( you can remove that post. Please

Have just sketched this out on a white board where I am working.

At some point in the ring, a line has been connected to a neutral

and a neutral connected to a line, so some of the sockets are now

reverse polarity. It would explain why there is a read if either

the lines are connected or the neutrals are connected at the CCU.

Performing step 2 of the test procedure would trace it and then

check with a long lead test.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:10 ----------

To continue, the correct line and neutral connections

may have been restored further around, so that the ring has

worked, with one or more sockets along its length in

reverse polarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys for your help I was going to try the long leAd method it's just a huge house as big as Buckingham palace lol cheers

I've done the long lead method and found where there is a loft someone hasent joined the ring through but I've checked in each socket all the ones I've looked at so far are all correct polarity. But on the long lead method I touched line and sure enough I have one side of the ring but when I touch neutrel I get continuity also and the neutrels are disconnected in th board while I done this. If I've left an appliance somewhere would that read though live and neutrel and give this reading? There is alot of server racks too.I'm new to this testing so thanks for your

Help guys I really

Am greatfull

Are you using continuity ohms, or insulation m ohm ? Have you simpy tested the polarity is correct at all sockets & spurs. A plug in tester would be quick
Yeh it on ohms and I had it on the bell setting low ohms 20 ohms. I have got a plug top tester with the 3 lights . The thing is I've put so much right on this job the bloke who done the install didn't have a clue I've found connector block plastered in the wall 1.5mm cable joining the ring in places no ip rated boxes it's endless so even though I can do the plug top test the fault could be anywhere. If there was an appliance connected like a light on a spur or transformer would it read though L-N and that's why is comming up with continuity?? Thanks for your help I'm really greatfull

I thought the 2391 was difficult to pass u guys got a different exam down there this is basic testing and what do u mean the sockets u have checked so far surely there not that many on this ring. Sorry if I sound disrespectful but the mind boggles why guys are let loose with these short courses do a couple of tests and expect to be comfortable and confident working unsupervised !!!!

I thought the 2391 was difficult to pass u guys got a different exam down there this is basic testing and what do u mean the sockets u have checked so far surely there not that many on this ring. Sorry if I sound disrespectful but the mind boggles why guys are let loose with these short courses do a couple of tests and expect to be comfortable and confident working unsupervised !!!!
People like you get to me if u read above

I said its a building the size of buckingham palace I went to a. Job after this Job a smaill bungalow and sorted a broken ring in seconds. For your information I done a full 3 years bulding regs 2392 2391 and

17th edition update so don't get smart I'm on here for help not to get rude comments thanks. Thanks to the people who are helpfull

I think the point that greg1982 is making, this is a fairly basic fault that you are asking people to try and solve for you,

in honesty, your post came across to me as being very short course-ish too,

you havent even proved polarity and you are wanting advice on finding a fault on ring final continuity,

it doesnt look good from my viewpoint.

BTW, it cant be that big really, there is a limit to the floor area a ring can cover.

so, what did you do a 'WHOLE' 3 years at, was it building regs, or something else?

I think the point that greg1982 is making, this is a fairly basic fault that you are asking people to try and solve for you,in honesty, your post came across to me as being very short course-ish too,

you havent even proved polarity and you are wanting advice on finding a fault on ring final continuity,

it doesnt look good from my viewpoint.

BTW, it cant be that big really, there is a limit to the floor area a ring can cover.

so, what did you do a 'WHOLE' 3 years at, was it building regs, or something else?
I've checked polarity at each socket mate and at every fcu and jb! Also I know how many squared meters it can cover. What's with the nasty comments did you get bullied at school? All I carnt understand is if the continuity is going between live and neutrel why don't the mcb trip.