Part P consultation results are out

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all thank you admin the red shall be introduced to the finished article.

I like writing letters to various government departments and indeed scheme providers, all to often we are a trusting lot, taking all but never asking why.

The facts are like this

1, irrelevent of experiance providing you have been assessed as competant, you are free to carry on regardless.

2, there is no point in trying to fight previous regulations, you will never win.

3, if your going to make a point for discussion it must be factual and not a preconceived notion that the originator has.

4, it is well known that Part P was greatly welcomed by all electricians at the time, but they had no idea about the initial flaw that let those who were not traditionally trained into the trade.

5, as electricians who have worked to Part P, you have to be vocal and voice your opinions.

6, about 35% of part P electricians followed up on the questions raised for inclusion to the consoltation proccess.

7, that speaks for itself really, if only 35% reply, then the overall ruling will be based on a minority yet active group.

Moral ?

Speak up for yourself man its your livlyhood that is being discussed here.

A very cynical veiw Andy but they were my initial thoughts to be honest.
i wonder what the actual percentage is? doubt this is something any of the scam providers would have a break down of though. and even then, it wouldnt be very useful with the QS thing

Every scheme provider was approached to provide input based on their members, a questionare was sent out and the results used as a benchmark for opinions. However there was a limited response, as always, so what is now being discussed does not truly reflect the majority, which is always the case and fully understandable. Reform comes from enlightenment, and hands on experiances.

I truly would like more exposed legislation, the problem with this and indeed any other alterations in legislation, is the interpretations, plain english would be great, but is shown to be not the case when any legal documents are produced.

I have always apposed an anual assessment in favour of short notice visit. I always think that whilst I know how to do things properly, knowing that my work could be inspected at any time, gives me an edge, knowing that any scheme provider can choose ant time and any job and visit at leasure.

I have always apposed an anual assessment in favour of short notice visit. I always think that whilst I know how to do things properly, knowing that my work could be inspected at any time, gives me an edge, knowing that any scheme provider can choose ant time and any job and visit at leasure.
only issue with that, they wont know abou jobs that are not notified, to be able to inspect them. so just do one decent job a month, notify that, and bodge the rest of the jobs

I have wrote another report for the new consultation process, by the way there is an online petition which if you agree with part p being kept you should all consider signing. I have.

The problem we are faced with is if and when they will decide to relax the rules, the main reason for Part P in the first place was to reduce the deaths, injuries and fires caused by badly installed electrical systems. Part P HAS been effective, in that a reduction of (from memory) 17% in reported electrical faults. Removing some minor works from the notification process will only lead to an increase in electrical dangers, lets face it, knowing your work could be assessed makes every job you do, you do to the best of your ability. If a kitchen fitter can say the same then well done he. lets not forget that any alteration done should comply with BS7671 and this ,for those who have no test equipment is impossible. The relaxed rulings to allow a registered electrician to sign off third party installations is a joke, we are faced with this almost on a daily basis, and are only being asked to do so because they do not wish to pay for your knowledge, especially as the local handyman can do your job for

I have wrote another report for the new consultation process, by the way there is an online petition which if you agree with part p being kept you should all consider signing. I have.The problem we are faced with is if and when they will decide to relax the rules, the main reason for Part P in the first place was to reduce the deaths, injuries and fires caused by badly installed electrical systems. Part P HAS been effective, in that a reduction of (from memory) 17% in reported electrical faults. Removing some minor works from the notification process will only lead to an increase in electrical dangers, lets face it, knowing your work could be assessed makes every job you do, you do to the best of your ability. If a kitchen fitter can say the same then well done he. lets not forget that any alteration done should comply with BS7671 and this ,for those who have no test equipment is impossible. The relaxed rulings to allow a registered electrician to sign off third party installations is a joke, we are faced with this almost on a daily basis, and are only being asked to do so because they do not wish to pay for your knowledge, especially as the local handyman can do your job for

Why oh Why do i keep finding electrical work completed by monkeys, just today i came across a consumer unit with a rather strange modification, the live busbar accross the top of the mcbs even the tails (16mm) were in the bottom of the MS. Does an MCB even work the opposite way? I can't understand why I pay to be a registered Domestic Installer when the COWBOYS are still on the reservation!!## If part P is to continue it should be like the Gas Safe register - outlaw all non qualified or non competent electrical work - ban the likes of B&Q from selling anything but switches sockets and lights.I personally feel I don't need the annual inspection to confirm my competency, the pride I have in my work and my conscience keep me on my toes...Why is a City & Guilds qualification not enough?
What exactly is wrong with having the busbar at the top and the incoming at the bottom?

Why wouldn't an MCB work that way around?

What's your definition of a monkey?

I had one recently that had the main switch right in the middle with 3 MCBs either side and RCDs at each end.... Very odd, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it
That was rather my point, it may be unconventional, but how is it wrong?

I came across one a few weeks back, meant to a split load board, but all the MCBs were were one the non-RCD side. RCD protecting jack!

Tried to explain to customer, failed to make him understand. Hey-ho.

That was rather my point, it may be unconventional, but how is it wrong?I came across one a few weeks back, meant to a split load board, but all the MCBs were were one the non-RCD side. RCD protecting jack!

Tried to explain to customer, failed to make him understand. Hey-ho.
Apart from it being a Volex:( there was nothing wrong with it

I think we both agree that there is nothing wrong with unconventional,,, so long at it's safe

Bit of an old thread to resurrect, - an enjoyable read though - but the suggestion appears to be along the lines that you'll have a separate driving test for Vauxhalls, another one for Fords, one for Hondas, in fact one for every different make of car. A SWA circuit will be banned because it's like a 4 wheel drive.

I just see the cherries spinning on the fruit machine on this idea guys, sorry.

I personally couldn't bd arsed either paying or attending reassessments for licences, and how would you prove competence for industrial work? Is that machinery or installation or what? This whole part p balls up will never go away now it's here, and any other type of restrictions will be endorsed along with it, meaning

Latest posts