PATesting computers Yes or No

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mole2006

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about to start doing portable appliance testing and have just completed a training course. I was surprised to hear the lecturer say -

'Do Not test computers' as you will probably blow them up. bad day explode only do a visual.

What your opinions?

I've got the Fluke 6500 if this makes any difference.

I think you're lecturer has given you some very duff advice. What he should have told you was to be careful with all IT equipment, regarding the voltage range you use for the IR test, and the current you use for the earth bond test.

As far as I am aware a PC is a portable appliance and therefore comes under the scope of C&G 2377, which you should have covered on your course.

Did you do an exam at the end of the course?

Did you you cover what the various numbers mean, and how to interpret them when they appear on the tester screen?

It wasn't a C & G course and it had a quick multi guess test. The lecturer had a Seaward Primetest with only a pass of fail indication!
Then I think you need to think seriously before starting to PAT test, especially with a Pass/Fail meter with no movable parameters. If you can't interpret the earth bond results you are going to be failing a lot of perfectly good equipment, due to the resistance of a lead taking you over the 0.1ohm pass/fail threshold normally set on those meters.

Apologies if my posts sounded a bit short, didn't mean to offend, but I think you have been another unfortunate victim of a dodgy course.

You don't need any formal qualifications to PAT test but the C&G 2377 will give you a good insight into what the requirements are, how to interpret results, and you get a recognised qualification out of it, and if there's anything you're not sure of, ask away on the forum.

Then I think you need to think seriously before starting to PAT test, especially with a Pass/Fail meter with no movable parameters. If you can't interpret the earth bond results you are going to be failing a lot of perfectly good equipment, due to the resistance of a lead taking you over the 0.1ohm pass/fail threshold normally set on those meters.
I thought this is how you make the money on the goos old PAT side of things:coat

No need to apologise, C&G don't do the 2377 over here at the moment. So it's either a flight to the mainland or wait until enough people want to do the course and get a trainer over via a independant training agency as we did.

I think I had better log on to Amazon and order a book for a more informed view.

Cheers Guys.

I agree with the posts that Bez has posted.

I have the 2377, and is the only recognised qualification that the councils will accept.

Computer eqipement will need testing, and if a lecturer says just do a visual because you may blow it up, only says that the training you have received is inadequate.

Computers are usually tested but great care should be taken. Don't earth bond at 25 Kv or you will fry it. Most decent testers have a 100 ma setting. Visual testing is often for computers which can't be switched off like servers.

Remember the computer needs testing, as does the monitor, and the computer power lead and the monitor power lead. That's 4 items and if you're working on a per item charge that's the way to make your money.

Good luck as many people on these courses think it is how they will make their fortune. One day course and you've got a career. In reality you'll be lucky enough if you can make your beer money every week!

I always PAT test computers and have never had any problem, but then my PAT tester was designed for IT equipment.

The only "problem" I have ever had was I needed to shut down the server to test it (with the agreement of the company) and it then took them half a day to re start it. Aparantly it needed to be re started from head office, but nobody knew that. Perhaps next time I'll just do a visual on the server :)

This may be a helpful book, it offers probably more guidance than your lecturer did! :|

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PAT-Appliance-Service-Inspection-Electrical/dp/0750687363/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266753771&sr=1-1

Also re PC's, if you are looking at you typical desktop PC...

One's with a typical METAL CASE, I would most definitely would want to verity the earth continuity to the case!

Many desk tops also have removable leads...

(kettle euro type plug/socket jobbie on the back)

so, certainly no harm verifying the lead isn't damaged with a Ins Res test?

But then again as has been pointed out...

some of these Auto PAT meters don't allow for much common sense interpretation of individual circumstances.

So it is a delicate balance between;

• The electrical knowledge and experience of the person carrying out the tests.
  • What is permissible with the client, e.g. can it be powered down disconnected?
  • What the specific test meter(s) can actual due...

A basic pass-fail meter not the best IMHO!?

:) Guinness

I ordered the book Special Location recomended last night, always found Scaddan's books useful when I did the 2391 last year. I'm glad I didn't go for the Seaward the lecturer recomended.

I wasn't impressed when he didn't have time to run through a few tests with the Fluke I took to the course and indicated I had wasted my money getting the more complicated unit.

Thanks for everyones input.

The lecturer needs reporting for being completely incompetent and dangerous.

I did a load of PAT testing for a local company with 6 regional offices. The last person to do the tests had tested a total of 15 or so items, just basically the stuff in the kitchen, and then he had failed loads of it. I tested 300 or so items and couldn;t find anything wrong with half the stuff he had condemned. Obviously he'd been on the same course as the OP.

The lecturer needs reporting for being completely incompetent and dangerous. I did a load of PAT testing for a local company with 6 regional offices. The last person to do the tests had tested a total of 15 or so items, just basically the stuff in the kitchen, and then he had failed loads of it. I tested 300 or so items and couldn;t find anything wrong with half the stuff he had condemned. Obviously he'd been on the same course as the OP.
Thats the one where if the 3 pin plug is Black its 'Fail'.. But if its White its 'Pass'! :DO)

easy don't even need a fancy tester...

White plug with a fuse.... Jobs a goodun!!!!!Blushing:p:p;\ ; \ ]:)