PC problem , needs help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Plate

Reaction score
hello to all

I need some help about PC problem , its not my unit but for my friend, she got a Fujitsu siemens laptop , she can use the YM and she can chat to her friends , wireless connection is ok , but she cant use the IE internet explorer even Mozilla firefox, it always says "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage, and the other thing that i found out that the light for for the wireless icon is colored red instead of green , pls take not that it can connect to a network but it cant open to browse for example for our forum sites....

any help and idea pls.

thanks a lot

Sounds like the router needs to be reinstalled/reconfigured,Macca
hello mate,

my router is doin well , my laptop and my wifes laptop is both workin properly , only this laptop of my friend has a bit of problem , reason why she asked me to sort this out , but i am puzzled a bit too

i got fujitsu siemens the wi fi is red

does it say limited acsses in the bottem right when u put the curser on it

it a yellow triangle i think

does it say limited acsses in the bottem right when u put the curser on itit a yellow triangle i think
no mate it doesnt say any limited access at all , my wireless connection has a full 5 green bars

so it says acsses local and internet,

have u tried diagnose and repair

i have had simlar probs, but playing around sorted it, i aint no expert though.

does it work with ethernet cable, is the firewall or anitvirus blocking it

i have had simlar probs, but playing around sorted it, i aint no expert though.does it work with ethernet cable, is the firewall or anitvirus blocking it
I have tried to off all the visus prection and the firewall , still no luck at all

Does this problem only occur when trying to connect to your network?

Is your network secured?

Is she using the correct WEP key?

i assume your computer works fine on the wireless router.

try to hardwire it (usb/ethernet cable) or

try to turn wifi off then restart computer when its all loaded turn wifi back on. if your getting full bars it must be connected to your router. try updating driver for wireless. might also be worth uninstalling network adapter then restart, it should find new hard ware and install automatically.

HTH

Check control panel, internet options, connections, LAN options - clear

The ipconfig /all command will detail your network interfaces.

I would guess that your browser is not able to resolve url's to IP addresses because of a wrong gateway address - but that's a guess :p

There is a command called ping that can be used to check access to IP addresses/domains .. but it's a bit late and I'm on hte 2nd bottle of red :Y

If YM works it's a config issue in my (10 year old MCSE qualification) view :eek:

I have just spent about 4 hours on the phone with my IT consultant after my PC suffered a hard drive malfunction - TWICE.

He's Microsoft certified and certainly knows his stuff. He talked me through each operation one at a time over the phone (he's in Abingdon, I'm in Lutterworth). Once the PC was back up and running with an internet connection he logs in over the internet and can check all your settings etc.

If you would like his number you can email me at <username without the space>@aol.com or PM me from here.

I think Andy's on the right lines.From what's been established so far sounds like the laptop has internet connectivity, so it sounds like a software component on the laptop (possibly a firewall or antivirus component) is blocking the ports (TCP port 80 for normal sites and port 443 for secure sites) used to connect to web servers. This could be a configuration error or the laptop could've been infected by some malicious code.

It may be worth trying to disable any firewall and antivirus software temporarily and see if you can browse to a trusted site, like www.bbc.co.uk if that works.

If it does then start up the software again to confirm it breaks. If that all goes to plan then you've isolated the problem to that software and you've got a starting point to search for a solution on t'interweb:D
thanks for some more info mate , but so far I still dont have luck, i did tried to turn off all anti virus and firewall , I even try to used the ethernet yellow cable directly to the laptop but still no sign at all...

cheers for your time guys , Im still waiting for more info around ,,

As many have asked if you can provide what IP address this laptop has resolved it would help with diags

Making an assumption

Your network IP range is likely 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (found via Support tab on Network connections)

your router would normally be x.x.x.1 e.g. 192.168.0.1 (but sometimes 254) for both Gateway and DNS, the laptop should set to obtain both IP and DNS automatically and would be something other than 1, it might be worth manually setting the laptop to a fixed IP such as 192.168.0.50 and set the Gateway and DNS to match the routers IP address and try that

if this does not work, it may be that a protocol layer for the WiFi has been removed or corrupted, try deleting from the device manager the WiFi device and then reboot (best make sure you have the WiFi driver disc to hand)