phone won`t ring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Callout to a premises this morning - phone not ringing.

Try another phone in the socket - that doesn`t ring, either.

Master socket - 50V across A/B; which modulates when you call the number.

So, we`ll replace the master socket.

No difference headbang

Try another phone (again) - still nowt.

Start fault diagnosis with BT - but they want to call you back with the result - that`s difficult, when it won`t ring!!!!!

The only other thought I had was an ADSL filter....I wonder if BT`ve put broadband on the line, and it needs filtering - can`t think of anything else.

Odd though -I thought the 50V appeared when the phone rang - not was there all the time.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

KME

It does

many times ive got a tingle from someone phoning in while wiring up a new master socket.

I thought it was 50VDC normally, then about 75VAC ringing. My first thought whilst reading OP was the capacitor gone in master socket. But then you mentioned replaced master and still same.

How many devices are connected? think the ren limit for BT is 5, Exceed this and funny things happen. n.b. some devices are >1 ren. Don't foreget stuff like Sky, think they count towards ren too.

Knowing Kme

he would have checked the master without any extensions etc connected so i dont think the ren is an issue

If we consider Barx's view (which may be correct on BT) then the fault is at the exchange on the line card not producing the ring

Kme doesnt say whether he can phone out ???? if he cant then it could be crossed pairs......

is there a dial tone ???

did he use the engineering number for diagnostics ?????

all these need answers !!!!!!!!

OK.

Yes, you can ring out.

Yes, I had the master socket and nothing else.

Commercial property, single incoming line (NOT routed through their local exchange).

Yes, I used 151 - eventually (they want to ring you back on the number), confirmed no fault their end.

This is a single, BT phone, plugged into a single BT master skt, with no extensions connected to it.

The master has been replaced.

I`ve had a voltage probe on the back of it - constant 50V until you call the number; then it appears to modulate - though not to 75VAC.....

As said, I`m going back in the morning to put a passive microfilter in line - its the only thing I can think of!

KME

Barx is correct that you should have 50v DC on the line which changes to 60-75v AC when ringing

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:08 ----------

Did you try dialing 17070 & if that doesn't work or the line has a withheld number dial 1470 first. This is the engineers test number. If it asks if you are authorized just press 1 for yes. Even though the phone may not ring pick it up 3 or 4 minutes later and see if the reply is there. If it is then its an external fault even though its telling you no fault found (many odd faults slip through this system) . I have had that many times.

couple of thoughts.......

are their any 'features' on this line ?

what is it used for ??????

Theo: don`t know for sure, but don`t think there`re any "features"......standard, uninterrupted dial tone.

SlipSlap: What`s best way to determine this?? n.b. I`m getting drop of the DCV, and some ACV when I ring the line, across the pair behind the master...wouldn`t have expected that if ringing in was disabled? If I "answer" the `phone, while I call it, I have a connection....... currently praying the filter makes it ring, cos I dunno what else to try!!!!!

I dont think you can tell from testing the line if its retricted, but from what you have said it seems to be the master, the handset or still could be BT at fault. I cant remember how i last tested for the ringing voltage, i don't think a multimeter is any good but an old style analog works. You are using a standard phone and not a system phone ?

shame you havent got a test phone

could have gone straight on the the pair !

Request for wiring info?

I`ve got to get onto BT - the filter doesn`t work, 17070 doesn`t ring back, and to do any tests they need an engineers`PIN number.....

Note: There are 2 cables into the box - in both cases its the blu/wht pair in use.

One pair shows 50V; the other pair reads AC voltage (indeterminate level) - thinking the 50V may be an on-site power supply - can`t trace it, as it disappears under the floor.

I tried separating out the pairs - neither of `em gets the phone to ring.

So, I`m going to have to report it to BT online..........

KME,

the lead I have on the BT phone I have is simply 2croc clips to pins 2&5, (which seems logical) just belled them out.

will try and do those fancy pic things you all like when I get a chance,