PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering to what extent is acceptable to go to on a PIR? in the on site guide for the R1+R2 results there is just a tick, what does this mean? Should all the relevant tests done to the same as would be done with an EIC?

For the insulation resistance should all bulbs be removed so it can be done properly or is live conductors to earth sufficent?

Thanks

Guidance Note 3 is the book that provides greater detail for PIR's. I don't think the on site guide covers much about PIR's?

Doc H.

The 'Doc' is correct - and you shouldn't even be attempting a PIR if you haven't at least flicked through it. :D - How do you even know what you should be inspecting and testing for?

Dan, have you got gn3 mate as mines fallen apart where I've read it so much. I think it's the most helpful book for i&t and pir's.

I haven't done many pir's but wouldn't turn them down as work is work.

When you do it tho just make sure you put down that you haven't inspected 100% say 75% max just incase you do miss something and you would be held liable if you put 100%. Think it's all about sampling.

But have a good read of gn3 as it will help you out no end.

Cheers

Regarding the R1 + R2 question, ie 'what's the tick for', it's basically because only a continuity test is required, not a measurement that needs recording.

cheers for help. my gn3 has pages falling out the thing and isnt too old but il have a good old read through that. cheers

quick question, i came across the line and neutral crossed over in some sockets were the owner has changed them for some fancy metal ones and also the kitchen ring is broken, could this cross polarity cause the broken ring? im going there tomorrow to investigate more

cheers

Unlikely that crossed polarity will cause a broken ring, more likely that he didn't put the conductor in the terminal correctly.

Dan, have you got gn3 mate as mines fallen apart where I've read it so much. I think it's the most helpful book for i&t and pir's. I haven't done many pir's but wouldn't turn them down as work is work.

When you do it tho just make sure you put down that you haven't inspected 100% say 75% max just incase you do miss something and you would be held liable if you put 100%. Think it's all about sampling.

But have a good read of gn3 as it will help you out no end.

Cheers
if I hadnt done much then that would be the 1st job I wouyld turn down,

PIRs are very reliant on observation and experience AFAIAC,

plus I hope you have very big PI insurance as well as your PL.

if I hadnt done much then that would be the 1st job I wouyld turn down,PIRs are very reliant on observation and experience AFAIAC,

plus I hope you have very big PI insurance as well as your PL.
It's a quandary - the worlds best brain surgeon at some point had never done an operation.

You need to be competent to do them, you need to do them to become competent. Catch 22. headbang headbang headbang headbang headbang headbang headbang headbang

It's a quandary - the worlds best brain surgeon at some point had never done an operation. You need to be competent to do them, you need to do them to become competent. Catch 22. headbang headbang headbang headbang headbang headbang headbang headbang
Not quite true Apache, the brain surgeon would have gained similar competence and skills on less critical operations before doing their brain surgery, so would not be going straight onto higher skilled work immediately out of university. A think Steptoe is saying that more competence and experience can be gained doing a few years installation and alteration work, so broadening your understanding of electrical installations. Then possibly the inspection & test city & guilds would be a sensible course prior to taking on board PIR work.

Doc H.