Please Help Identify This Alarm, It's Beeping Incessantly!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civvie

Reaction score
An old alarm in the building I rent has recently started emitting loud short sharp beeps every 10 seconds or so.

I THINK it was installed in the 90's, London, UK. I'm guessing the battery is getting flat.

I don't use the alarm but don't want to destroy it, I just want the incessant beeping to stop!

Any help very much appreciated.

I just joined this forum to post this so please direct me if you know a more suitable place to post.

I'm not an electrical engineer.

Thanks.

I cant post a picture unless I have 10 posts so to view picture of the alarm please go here:

dl [dot] dropboxusercontent [dot] com/u/6091152/photo [dot] jpg

that looks like normal bellbox. is there is control panel or key pad somewhere? could do with a pic of that, or the make & model

and here's the pic above

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

The keypad is a Pyronix Vocaliser but it has long been disconnected (the telephone wires have been removed)

There are a few motion sensors in the room and they are still receiving power, flashing away.

It was installed by a previous tenant and I have no information on make or model (no visible brand on the bell box).

Obviously it's not in a operational state but the landlord does not want it removed if possible as it is a visual deterrent with it's red and green flashing LEDs.

So as much as it's beeping is agitating me, I can't simply smash it off the wall with a sledgehammer!

Thanks again.

I think we would love to help but telling someone you don't know how to disconnect an alarm is not the done thing.

That's my opinion.

Fair point, I didn't think of that.

What would be sufficient evidence I could provide that I am indeed the occupant of the building?

I can provide the control panel pics which is obviously inside the room.

(The alarm was installed for a single room inside a larger building)

An old alarm in the building I rent has recently started emitting loud short sharp beeps every 10 seconds or so.

I THINK it was installed in the 90's, London, UK. I'm guessing the battery is getting flat.

I don't use the alarm but don't want to destroy it, I just want the incessant beeping to stop!

Any help very much appreciated.

I just joined this forum to post this so please direct me if you know a more suitable place to post.

I'm not an electrical engineer.

Thanks.

I cant post a picture unless I have 10 posts so to view picture of the alarm please go here:

dl [dot] dropboxusercontent [dot] com/u/6091152/photo [dot] jpg
You can post pictures now.

The vocaliser is NOT the alarm, it is a speech dialer that calls predefined numbers in the event of an alarm, there must be some other keypad somewhere. Also a little more detial required, which bit is making the noise? the bellbox or the kkeypad or something else....

The simplest thing to do is:

Take the cover off from the outside unit.

It will probably go into one but don't worry.

find the 2 cables that go to the bit in the middle of the box that is making the noise.

disconnect them and that should be it.

The LED's will still flash.

Put the cover back on

ALL DONE

Thanks for the reply.

The keypad is a Pyronix Vocaliser but it has long been disconnected (the telephone wires have been removed)

There are a few motion sensors in the room and they are still receiving power, flashing away.

It was installed by a previous tenant and I have no information on make or model (no visible brand on the bell box).

Obviously it's not in a operational state but the landlord does not want it removed if possible as it is a visual deterrent with it's red and green flashing LEDs.

So as much as it's beeping is agitating me, I can't simply smash it off the wall with a sledgehammer!

Thanks again.

OK there is a touch panel that I think has a vocaliser in it.

It's the only control I can find.

It has a lead disconnected with bare wires, I think it's the telephone connection. Def not mains power!

Sound is coming from the bell box fist depicted.

Photo of touch panel here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/teapokdtibk86lg/Photo%2016-10-2013%2017%2036%2049.jpg

Thanks all.

The external bell box has its own battery....

that is the bit that is making the sounder operate.. 

There will be another control panel somewhere..

(in cupboard.. under stairs.. in garage..  by fuse box  etc.... etc...)

With another battery...

That battery will be a rechargeable lead acid battery that should have been replace approx every 5 years...

If its not been replaced since the 90's then its well and truly knacked IMHO...

If the battery is that old it can cause the panel to do unpredictable things... 

my only advice would be....

If it is the landlord who wants it kept and it is on his property..

He should be getting it fixed or removed...

Not up to you to get involved!!

I really think the landlord should get his ladders out and sort it out

Either that or the council will come round and silence it only to give you the bill if it is sounding all the time, may even hit you with a noise abatement order as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
in my eyes, the system looks dead anyway from the keypad, so the bellbox most have been running on batteries for however long. Those will probably be running out now and a chirping bellbox is a key sign of battery failure.

Thanks for all the replies.

Can't find another control panel for the life of me.

This is a comercial property, thankfully I don't have to sleep there.

The landlord is aware of the issue and asked for my help in sorting it.

I'm just taking the initiative because it effects me on a daily basis and I want it sorted quickly.

The simplest thing to do is:

Take the cover off from the outside unit.

It will probably go into one but don't worry.

find the 2 cables that go to the bit in the middle of the box that is making the noise.

disconnect them and that should be it.

The LED's will still flash.

Put the cover back on

ALL DONE
That sounds simple enough.

It will go off as soon as the cover is removed though wont it?

Better get some industrial ear plugs.

Also, I imagine it's on the mains power as well?

Much chance of electrocution cutting the speaker wires?